Adjusting Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting Valves

Once again I find myself begging for information from the mechanical wizards on this ever so helpful website.[-o<

I'm about to try to adjust the valves on my GS750ES. Is this going to require any specialized tools or are there any helpful hints anyone can give me.. Like a how to do it hint... I always have the option to put it in the shop, but I'd like to learn about it too rather than just pay someone to take care of it for me and I figure with the harsh Texas winter coming up I'll have all of about 3 weeks that it'll be too cold to ride so that will be the perfect time to try it.. My bike seems to tick,tick tick,tick, when running and also makes a popping noise when I let off the throttle. The guy at the shop I go to said maybe a stretched exhaust valve?

Thanks for you help and input.

Originally posted by greggo2208 View Post
    Once again I find myself begging for information from the mechanical wizards on this ever so helpful website.[-o<

I'm about to try to adjust the valves on my GS750ES. Is this going to require any specialized tools or are there any helpful hints anyone can give me.. Like a how to do it hint... I always have the option to put it in the shop, but I'd like to learn about it too rather than just pay someone to take care of it for me and I figure with the harsh Texas winter coming up I'll have all of about 3 weeks that it'll be too cold to ride so that will be the perfect time to try it.. My bike seems to tick,tick tick,tick, when running and also makes a popping noise when I let off the throttle. The guy at the shop I go to said maybe a stretched exhaust valve?

Thanks for you help and input.
    That sounds to me like you're running a lean. What do your plugs look like?

Comment

I'll check plugs this weekend when I have a chance to tear into it. I believe I've read some of your previous reply's or posts. The plugs should
      be a grayish color right?

Comment

I'll check plugs this weekend when I have a chance to tear into it. I believe I've read some of your previous reply's or posts. The plugs should
        be a grayish color right?
        If they are grayish you're running too lean. You want tan or brown.

Comment

A stretched exhaust valve? Where did he get that?

My first hint would be to not let that guy touch your bike...

My second hint would be to get the repair manual for your bike. If more than one is available, get them all. At least, that's what I did.
          Discover a wide selection of auto, ATV, motorcycle, tractor and equipment repair manuals at RepairManual.com. Choose from trusted brands like Chilton, Haynes, Clymer, and Cyclepedia. Since 1997, we've been the reliable source for comprehensive service manuals, owners manuals, and parts manuals. Shop now for top-notch manuals to enhance your DIY repairs.

Therein, you will find complete and fairly clear instructions for checking valve clearances. With pictures and everything.

I find it much less confusing to use a metric feeler gauge, available at any auto parts store for cheap, but you're welcome to use one marked in inches as long as you promise to never get confused as to which units you're using.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hmmm, cant say as I've ever seen a "stretched" exhaust valve. :-)
            I wouldnt go back to that place. ehehehe

E.

[QUOTE=greggo2208;542373]
            The guy at the shop I go to said maybe a stretched exhaust valve?
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I wasn't going to comment on that particular example of verbal diarrehea,...funny stuff though.

Of course, it could be swollen,...or maybe just strained.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with a manual or two and see where it goes from there. Maybe my bank account will stretch next?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with a manual or two and see where it goes from there. Maybe my bank account will stretch next?
                  Yes, tortured screaming from a stretched credit card/savings account is a sure sign of a GS owner...

Let the winter spend/rebuild season BEGIN!
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Yes, tortured screaming from a stretched credit card/savings account is a sure sign of a GS owner...

Wait!? WTF!?!

You mean you're not SUPPOSED to do it all over the summer and finish just as the cold weather sets in?

F*ck me!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

What he means is he will "stretch" the work out all winter so he can put his kid in college!!!!

Comment

I stretched my valve a couple of hundred times:shock:
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm about to adjust my valves, as well. I was told by a salesperson (like he knew anything) at the local Suzuki shop (absolute dung heap of a place, I wouldn't take a bicycle there and have never returned) that to adjust the valves I would need a special tool that ran $80-120 and was only available from 'Zuki. I assumed he was full of crap and ignored him. I know that Motion Pro and others make specialty tools for specific motorcycles. Is there a special tool (yes, I'm trying to get a manual) and if so, anyone got a link to a reasonably priced one?

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                            I'm about to adjust my valves, as well. I was told by a salesperson (like he knew anything) at the local Suzuki shop (absolute dung heap of a place, I wouldn't take a bicycle there and have never returned) that to adjust the valves I would need a special tool that ran $80-120 and was only available from 'Zuki. I assumed he was full of crap and ignored him. I know that Motion Pro and others make specialty tools for specific motorcycles. Is there a special tool (yes, I'm trying to get a manual) and if so, anyone got a link to a reasonably priced one?
                            Ridiculous. I've heard the tool can help, but it ain't $80-120. Try closer to $15.

Plus, I just adjusted my valves and the only special tool I needed was a feeler guage. Other than that I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a small wrench. Easy-peasy-japaneasy.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                              Well there is some truth to his statement. The special tool is a very small 3mm square drive socket with a handle. It does make a valve adjustment go WAY easier, but you can use a small pair of needlenose vice grips (just be EASY with the vice grips). It takes way longer, but can be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X