Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil filter cover studs stripped, I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover studs stripped, I think?

Hi Guys!

I've had my '81 GS650G home for a few weeks now, but working 2 jobs sorta sucks up all my daylight and so I haven't had much time to screw around with the bike yet. I've been mentally compiling a list of things that will need to be addressed (right signal doesn't blink, choke assembly needs to be replaced, fairing needs to be pulled and stock headlight/front blinkers need installation, etc), and I've been planning to start with the simpler things so I can kind of get a little experience/confidence before trying to work on the engine and stuff (I have NO previous mechancial experience, and not really even any tools yet!).

The one problem that I think is going to be a "serious" one, though, is the studs for the oil filter cover. I *think* they're stripped... The guy who sold me the bike told me about it and it didn't sound like a big deal, but I'd like to fix it properly instead of rigging it up like he did. He told me that (if I remember correctly) two of the studs were stripped, and they were "double-nutted" to hold them on, and that I would see what he was talking about when I changed my oil.

With no time, tools, or experience, I have been hesitant to get in there and see exactly what's wrong so far, but assuming the information I have is accurate, what do I need to do to permanently, correctly, fix this..?

Originally posted by Jinkeez View Post
    Hi Guys!

I've had my '81 GS650G home for a few weeks now, but working 2 jobs sorta sucks up all my daylight and so I haven't had much time to screw around with the bike yet. I've been mentally compiling a list of things that will need to be addressed (right signal doesn't blink, choke assembly needs to be replaced, fairing needs to be pulled and stock headlight/front blinkers need installation, etc), and I've been planning to start with the simpler things so I can kind of get a little experience/confidence before trying to work on the engine and stuff (I have NO previous mechancial experience, and not really even any tools yet!).

The one problem that I think is going to be a "serious" one, though, is the studs for the oil filter cover. I *think* they're stripped... The guy who sold me the bike told me about it and it didn't sound like a big deal, but I'd like to fix it properly instead of rigging it up like he did. He told me that (if I remember correctly) two of the studs were stripped, and they were "double-nutted" to hold them on, and that I would see what he was talking about when I changed my oil.

With no time, tools, or experience, I have been hesitant to get in there and see exactly what's wrong so far, but assuming the information I have is accurate, what do I need to do to permanently, correctly, fix this..?

Those studs for the oil filter cover are threaded into the block, so they can be gripped with vicegrips and unscrewed and replaced. I usually heat the aluminum block around the studs with an electric hot air gun/paint stripping gun before trying to turn them out with the vicegrips. The usually come out without any great difficulty. Any bike shop will have replacement studs or can order them and they are not expensive.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You can get 6mm studs at most Ace or Do It Center hardware stores. They usually also have tasty stainless steel nuts to complete the job.

You won't much, if any, metric hardware at a big box home store.

Don't order the cheesy OEM studs from Suzuki -- that would just be repeating the same mistake. I think they make them from pressed sawdust and cheddar cheese.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Those studs for the oil filter cover are threaded into the block, so they can be gripped with vicegrips and unscrewed and replaced. I usually heat the aluminum block around the studs with an electric hot air gun/paint stripping gun before trying to turn them out with the vicegrips. The usually come out without any great difficulty. Any bike shop will have replacement studs or can order them and they are not expensive.

Earl
        Oh, man, that's great!! Thanks for the info, it's a relief to find out that it won't be as big a problem as I thought

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Don't order the cheesy OEM studs from Suzuki -- that would just be repeating the same mistake. I think they make them from pressed sawdust and cheddar cheese.
          Thanks, I needed a good laugh today!!! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            You can get 6mm studs at most Ace or Do It Center hardware stores. They usually also have tasty stainless steel nuts to complete the job.

You won't much, if any, metric hardware at a big box home store.

Is that why my bike smells that way when I change the oil filter?Darn Japenese!

Comment

Working...
            X