GS1000 oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 oil cooler

Can anyone recommend a high quality, high performance, easy to install oil cooler for the GS1000?

Thanks!

I installed a Derale brand on my 1100. Took me about an hour. It didn't need the oil sensor taps or oil filter cover taps. It had taps that screwed into the two large bolts under the oil filter and you had to block a port inside the oil filter cavity. but this may be just with my engine. I live in a desert and it's works very well.
    Last edited by chef1366; 12-05-2006, 02:34 AM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Any reasonable auto transmission cooler(get one from a junkyard/wrecker/breaker), plus associated plumbing, and adaptor.

Dink

Comment

the oil cooler part is easy to get, earls or jc whitney or a transmission shop have them. the hard part is getting the adapter.

check this out if you want to try to make one

or you maybe able to buy a adapter from ape racing they sell a top end oiler kit and looks like the take the oil from the sensor area, which is where you need to. and i think the 1100 and the most of the other gs share the same oil sensor plate, atleast my 550 and my 1k did.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Contact "Terry" a member here,for an adaptor plate. he has made his own and now sells them, it goes where the oil light switch is below the camchain tensioner behind the cylinder block.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I installed a Derale brand on my 1100. Took me about an hour. It didn't need the oil sensor taps or oil filter cover taps. It had taps that screwed into the two large bolts under the oil filter and you had to block a port inside the oil filter cavity. but this may be just with my engine. I live in a dessert and it's works very well.
            I've had my Derale since the early '80s, and my recollection is that it came with a preconfigured replacement oil filter cover.

BTW Bill, I know that you are a chef and work with food all day, but I'm sure you don't live in a dessert but a desert.:-D

Comment

The 2 valve motors hook up different, don't have access to the oil gallies in the front like the 4 valve motors & need the adapter -- Replaces the
              oil pressure sending unit

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
                BTW Bill, I know that you are a chef and work with food all day, but I'm sure you don't live in a dessert but a desert.:-D
                Busted!!!!!!!!!!!!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can you use the adapter from a 2 valve KZ1000? The GS specific ones are tough to track down.

Comment

PJ, if you do indeed make it down for the Yosemite trip I'll show you a unique oil cooler solution for the GS1000. I've been keeping it under my hat while I test the prototype. So far I have close to 1000 miles with no troubles. Filter changes are going to be a hassle though.

Sorry to keep you in suspense. Actually, I would place a high value on you opinion when you see it.

In the mean time, if you want one of Terry's adapters I have one. You can try it if you like. PM me with your addy. I don't have it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                      Can you use the adapter from a 2 valve KZ1000? The GS specific ones are tough to track down.
                      No. The Kawi is different. You need Terry's adapter or one like this:

Or you need to get with Tom and run the lines the way he did.... which is probably how I'm going to do mine on my project.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

What kind of lines, couplings, and oil cooler adapters do you like? The stuff from Earl's looks trick, anyone used it?

Sent you a PM Tom.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2007, 02:27 AM.

Comment

If you have some finned tubing and a little welding knowledge you can build one!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            Thanks for the help guys.

What kind of lines, couplings, and oil cooler adapters do you like? The stuff from Earl's looks trick, anyone used it?

Sent you a PM Tom.
                            Someone say Earls? Mega dollars but when its your bike cant see a problem. PM me and ill send you more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                              Someone say Earls? Mega dollars but when its your bike cant see a problem. PM me and ill send you more pics.
                              That setup looks great! What kind of adapter did you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X