Quick question-battery bracket bolt sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question-battery bracket bolt sizes

Howdy all. At work and forgot to bring in my bolts this morning so thought I'd ask here....

I broke one of the 2 bolts that hold the battery support bracket on my 82 GS650. Want to stop at Lowes to get a replacement but forgot them this morning.

Does anyone know the size of these without too much effort? They're hex heads with a '4' stamped on the heads...I think the socket I was using was an 8mm or 9mm...maybe 1.25 inches long?

Best bets probably remembering to bring them in tomorrow...

The 4 is not significant to the size of the bolt. It's a reference to the grade of material. Although, if your socket head is 8mm (probably not 9mm) then the bolt size is a 4 or 5. But that's kinda small for that application.

I'm thinking it's best to double check. Then you only have to make one trip to the store.

Comment

I've never seen a Lowes or any home store with decent metric stuff. They might have what you need if all you want is a plain bolt that will crumble into rust in a month.

Around here, the Lowes metric drawer is just full of empty plastic bags where people have stolen the fasteners.

Bring the bolts with you and hit your friendly local Ace Hardware or DoIt Center hardware store. They'll have lots of zooty stainless stuff to drool over.

And we'll have no more of this filthy talk in inches... you meant the bolts were about 30mm long, didn't you? They're probably 6mm thread diameter.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Lowes had them...

Turns out they were 6mm x 20mm and they had them in stainless steel. Original(?) bolts were hex heads so I just replaced with same. Also bought stainless washers too..about $2 or so.

Unfortunately we only have Home Depot and Lowes here in Colorado Springs...unless you count Big R which is like a farm supply store...lotsa bolts though for tractors and such....

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X