i just bought an 82 gs450
    i love it
    the guy who sold it to me told me
    i might need to spray some starting fluid into
    the air filter to start it when it's cold
    well i never needed to for the first few weeks
    now the weather here in S.C. is nicer and
    it's starting to need the spray can this be fixed
    the guy from the cycle shop said ( over the phone) it was just that the engine is old and not vacuming fuel and the only fix is to rebuild the enegine ????

Get a compression guage if you don't already have one and check your compression. Remember to check it with your throttle wide open and the engine warm. If your compression is good your carbs probably need cleaned with a nice new set of o-rings http://www.cycleorings.com/
    Also replace the o-ring behind your intake boot.
    Here is a good tutorial

Make sure your airbox is sealed and all your boots are plyable with NO cracks.
    Also check your spark plugs and the connection on your spark plug boots.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A complete eng. rebuild would be last thing I would think about, but the compression test will tell you for sure. I'll bet on the carbs. Good luck!
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by spec View Post
        i just bought an 82 gs450
        the guy from the cycle shop said ( over the phone) it was just that the engine is old and not vacuming fuel and the only fix is to rebuild the enegine ????

He told you that because it was easier than telling you he had no idea what was really wrong with it. You will have fun trying to find a shop that will even look at an old bike. If they tell you it will cost more to fix it than it's worth maybe you'll buy a new bike.
        Stay with it, it will live again.

Comment

thank you all

thanks for the tips
          actually the bike runs great
          and most of the time starts with out even choking it
          just when it sits for a while and it's cold sometimes it
          needs a spray
          but thanks a lot yall
          - steve " spec "

Comment

I have an 82 GS450 also (a TXZ) and have had difficulty starting it some times. I have found that if I set the choke on when it is cold and don't touch the throttle it starts almost immediately. I let it warm up and as the idle speed increases I back off the choke lever. I have to let it warm up for several minutes before I can ride it with confidence that it won't stumble if I try to go with no choke. If I am impatient I leave it on part choke and go but then it usually won't drop down to a nice idle speed.
            I suggest you just keep experimenting with the choke setting when starting and you might find the winning setting.
            DickV

Comment

Hot or cold temps, I experience the same thing on my 1100 if it isn't started over a few days. My only suggestion would be to get a battery tender, and, maybe, replace the battery if it's older than a couple years.

I've found that if I start the bike occassionally when I know it's going to be parked more than a week, it will generally fire without much difficulty.

Brad bt

Comment

Not too sure about the carbs on your bike, but if it has breather pipes, try blowing into each (see my tip in tech tips), its worked well for me over the years and surprised a few others too !.
                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                X