Rotor Puller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor Puller?

I need to pull the rotor off my GS850's crank so's I can replace the seal and maybe get a look at the starter clutch bits.

What's the correct puller and where can I get one?

Will this one work? It appears to be something that would fit a variety of bikes, which might be useful in the future:

Motion Pro's site lists this one for GS750, but it doesn't mention one for the GS850 specifically:
    Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Looks like basically a big bolt with a 16mmX1.5mm thread.

Here's Dennis Kirk's stab in the dark for $67.99 (ow!):
    Dennis Kirk has been the leader in Powersports aftermarket parts and accessories since 1969. Over 160,000 unique items in stock & ready to ship today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

I think different GSs have different style flywheels, but mine comes off with a simple M14x1.5 bolt. Screw it in there tight enough and the rotor pops right off. If your flywheel has bigger diameter threads than the threads in the end of the crankshaft, I don't see why you can't do it that way, too.

The "puller" cost me all of a $1.50 at the hardware store. ;-)

Note the threads are metric "fine", at least on my flywheel.

Comment

Yup, I'm thinking that I'll have to go out into the garage and look, measure, and think for myself.

But dangit, it's cold out there!
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Check the bolt size on your bike, then try www.repairmanual.com

DS-MP29 - Flywheel Puller/35mm x 1.5-R.H.-External,Female(3in. depth))
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Well, on my GS850 at least, the puller needed is a 14mmX1.5mm internal thread. Basically, the puller is a big hardened bolt.

So I just ordered one from repairmanual.com -- it was only $8.50+$5.50 shipping, and it's in stock. It's a Dennis Stubblefield puller, #MP19. I should get it in a couple of days.

Dennis Kirk also sells Stubblefield pullers, but lists the same one for almost all GS models, which is incorrect. They do list the MP19 puller in stock for $9.99.
          Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Well, on my GS850 at least, the puller needed is a 14mmX1.5mm internal thread. Basically, the puller is a big hardened bolt.
            I'm really interested in how that works out. According to the factory manual (and looking at how my '82 is put together) the tool (part number 09930-30102) is like a slide hammer/dent puller. The end of the shaft is threaded and screws into the rotor. Then you slide the weight on the shaft to pull it off like you're pulling out a dent. The tool is listed in the '79 850 manual and there's no mention of any change the the supplements for the later years. The early 750 (which is basically the same engine) also lists the same tool...

I thought my starter clutch was failing at one point which is when I looked into it. Turns out it's fine, but I'd like to have the tool on hand for when I need it (there's no such thing as too many tools).

Keep us posted...

Comment

Originally posted by ptm View Post
              I'm really interested in how that works out. According to the factory manual (and looking at how my '82 is put together) the tool (part number 09930-30102) is like a slide hammer/dent puller. The end of the shaft is threaded and screws into the rotor. Then you slide the weight on the shaft to pull it off like you're pulling out a dent. The tool is listed in the '79 850 manual and there's no mention of any change the the supplements for the later years. The early 750 (which is basically the same engine) also lists the same tool...
              I've used the 14mmx1.5 bolt puller twice on my 650 now. Works like a charm. Although there's no need to pay more than a few bucks at your hardware store's fasteners aisle!

Comment

Working...
              X