another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another question

hey yall ive got an 84 gs1150 with a 750 motor... my question is there is a recoil nob across and down from the carbs...when you turn it it recoils back to its original position... what is this?? the bike is new to me so im not sure..

thanks alot

That is the cam chain tensioner. Don't mess with it especially if it's running. It keeps the chain that runs from your crank to your cams tight.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
      hey yall ive got an 84 gs1150 with a 750 motor... my question is there is a recoil nob across and down from the carbs...when you turn it it recoils back to its original position... what is this?? the bike is new to me so im not sure..

thanks alot
      Are you messing with the cam chain tensioner? 8-[ I'm not sure from your description...but from what you're saying, that would be my guess. :-D

Comment

ummmmm i turned it once while turnin it over.... does that meen i screwed it?
        please tell me i didnt just wreck it

Comment

If the bike still runs OK, you're fine.

I sense that you have an inquisitive nature. To help satisfy your curiosity, here's a GS850 cam chain tensioner disassembled and rebuilt. It may look a little different than yours, but they all work exactly the same:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

ya the problem is its not running to begin with so i dont know if i screwed anything.....if i did mess it up how do i fix it??????

once agin thanks a million for the help

Comment

You didn't mess it up... It'll spring back into place... But just don't touch it again, especially when the bike is running
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Curiosity killed the cat...I had the same experience when i got my gs (used to ride Morini, with no camchain.) I dismantle the tensionner to se how it works. It still works ( Thank god!) I can se there is no point in touching it at all, I can imagine all kind off bad things that would go wrong if I mess with it while the engine turns, but what would be the hazard off touching it while the engine is stopped?

Just Curios.

Otto

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                  ya the problem is its not running to begin with so i dont know if i screwed anything.....if i did mess it up how do i fix it??????

once agin thanks a million for the help
                  A quick test to see if it is still in time, pull the number one spark plug and tap the starter to bring the number one piston up to the top of the stroke. Then, with a spark plug in the number one plug wire, and grounded to the head, (you're going to be looking to see when it sparks)put your finger over the number one plug hole and spin the engine over. What you should see is, when you feel the compression against your finger, you should see the plug fire (on the compression stroke...you'll also feel some compression on the exhaust stroke). If you don't, you'll have to pull the valve cover and check the timing marks on the cam. It is possible to have an engine that is 180 degrees off time, but you wouldn't achieve that by simply messing with the cam chain tensioner. Good luck.

Dave
                  Last edited by Dave8338; 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM.

Comment

thats a million everyone... youve been alot of help!

cheers
                    rick

Comment

Working...
                    X