Hose "Springs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose "Springs"

I was looking at some brake hoses and they look good, even the ends. But that stupid "spring" around the house has rust on it. Can I cut that darn thing off the brake hoses or is there some way to clean the rust off?

That's there to stop them collapsing on the bends, I wouldn't remove it. I don't know if you can replace it. I guess you could very carefully paint it black.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      That's there to stop them collapsing on the bends, I wouldn't remove it. I don't know if you can replace it. I guess you could very carefully paint it black.

Dan
      I was thinking to cover them worst case:

Comment

Why not.... but at 30 bucks incl P&P you already have a good contribution towards some real ones.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Why not.... but at 30 bucks incl P&P you already have a good contribution towards some real ones.

Dan
          Real braided hoses? No way those things are way to expensive right now. There are what 4 or 5 brake lines?

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
            I was thinking to cover them worst case:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...QQcmdZViewItem
            I looked at something like this for my GS, but I didnt get them. yet. I may when money is a little more available...

Nate

Comment

Braided lines will be the last lines you ever install. I don't have them, yet. But the Owner's manual even recommends that you replace the original lines every 15K miles. I could be wrong, since my manual isn't in front of me, but I know for sure that they are a suggested replacement part.

As for the spring rust, as long as the springs still do their job (ie, prevent kinking) they should be fine. Treating them for rust may weaken them. Have you looked into replacing the springs?

Brad bt

Comment

You can make some improvement, and while not permanent, will last some time by using Locktite Extend rust treatment. It converts the rust to an inert substance, and leaves a coating behind. Permatex makes one as well. Lightly brush with a wire brush first.

Comment

I always just remove them. Never any problems.

Oh, and how's your GT doing?

Comment

You're completely wasting your time, worry, and money by even thinking about the mushy, long-expired stock brake hoses.

Replace with stainless braided lines ASAP and enjoy.

You can configure your own here -- most people need slightly shorter lines since most have replaced the stock handlebars. You can measure for new lines using a length of stiff electrical wire to figure out routing:

Spiegler's lines are top quality crimped lines, reasonably priced, and they ship fast. There are several other good suppliers, and I'm sure links will be posted shortly.

Most local cycle shoppes can make you a set of lines, but they usually use inferior threaded fittings assembled by hand. These work fine, but the threaded fittings are bulky, trap dirt and corrode, and have the potential to come apart. It's best to get lines made with DOT approved crimps.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I understant they were there for a reason, but many hoses don't have them & I've oftened wondered how much these weak little wires would do anyhow. After 20 something yrs, those old lines would probably break before they would kink together anyway. I'm with COMMODUS, if you don't like the looks, take them off. No doubt, to replace hoses would be a better option.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X