New Tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tire?

Sounds like a simplistic question, but where would I buy a new front tire for my GS650GLX? The markings on the current tire are: 3.25 H19, 4 P.R., GS-8 F1, and 266. This is greek to me, and looking on the internet didn't help as I don't know rim size or how to measure . Also, what brand and type do you recommend for general use/riding.

Thanks for any guidance,
    Norseman

That would be a 100/90 - 19

look at this link at the bottom.

Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely

Comment

You might want to try the new Avon roadrider.
      I love my set. This place has them but there is a few places less expensive

Comment

Originally posted by distraction628 View Post
        You might want to try the new Avon roadrider.
        I love my set. This place has them but there is a few places less expensive

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20..._roadrider.htm
        Please consider posting a complete review of the Avons in the "Buyers Guide" section -- they're a new tire, and I think a lot of us are curious about how they handle, tread wear, etc.

The current gold standard for handling is the Pirelli Sport Demons, but the Avons are significantly less expensive than the Pirellis and other V rated tires, and I'd guess that they also offer outstanding handling.

http://swmototires.com is another excellent tire supplier. They offer free shipping (FedEx Ground) when you buy a set of two tires. They are located in Arizona, so most people will need to factor in a few more days of shipping time.

At SW, a set of two Avons for my bike is $161.90 (100/90-19 & 130/90-17).

At Tires Unlimited, also an EXCELLENT supplier, a set would be $148.10 plus about $15 shipping -- the total cost is too close to call.

The advantage is that TU is located in Dayton, OH, so standard shipping to me in Indianapolis is overnight.

Both of these are actual, stocking warehouses with fantastic, fast service and large inventories -- in most cases, they have your tires in stock and ship the same day. This makes a HUGE difference in the service you get and how fast you get the tires.

Most of the internet tire shops are simply some goober living in his Mom's basement. When an order comes in, the goober simply orders the tires from someone else and ships them to you (or has them shipped from the warehouse to you, if he's a really advanced goober). This can add days to the process, but more importantly, if something goes wrong, all you get from the goober in the basement is finger pointing and a helpless shrug.

If I can, I always order from the people who actually have the product in front of them. I hate middlemen.
        Last edited by bwringer; 03-10-2007, 08:54 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          (or has them shipped from the warehouse to you, if he's a really advanced goober)
          OMG, goobers now come in the advanced model!!!
          Just remember, if you order them, someone will have to install them. Have an installer lined up so the hassle is minimized.

Comment

Working...
          X