quick cam chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick cam chain question

I checked to see if my camchain tensioner was working because my bike makes alot of "racket" on startup for about 2-4 minutes, then quiets down a bit. I went to make sure the tensioner moved. I went to twist it and it didnt move, and I had to "crack" it loose, not with alot of force, but it felt sticky at first, but after I cracked it it moved very freely. I could do this over and over if I let go of it for a minute then twist it again. Also when the bike is running it seems to be moving slightly back and fourth. Is this "stick" supposed to be there or does something need to be done about it?
    Thanks,
    Nick

I would take it off and clean it up. On the opposite side of the tensioner knob there is a lock nut for a flat head screw. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the screw to lock the tenioner piston so it doesn't let go into your engine. Now take off the tensioner and I bet it's gummed up with old oil. To put it back in you have to cock it. Push the piston all the way in. You will feel tension and you will see the tensioner knob move also. Now with the piston all the way in lock the piston down with the flat head screw. Install the tensioner (use a new gasket) and release the piston by backing out the screw 1/4 turn. You will hear it pop out. Now tighten the lock nut but make sure you don't tighten the screw.
    Last edited by chef1366; 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Here's a cam chain tensioner rebuild:

Yours might look a bit different, but it works the same way.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks bwringer that is definitely of use, along with many other "how to's" on your website! Is there really anything that I can mess up when I do this?

Comment

Just make sure you order the o-rings and seals for your bike -- your part numbers may be different than the ones on the rebuild page.

Once you get the tensioner in your hands and play with it a bit, you'll understand how it's basically a mechanical one-way valve. It's very hard to describe, but once you see it in person and fool with the mechanism a bit, you'll get the idea.

It's also a quite common mistake to tighten the setscrew so that the tensioner shaft can't move. Out of the four GS850 engines I've gotten to know personally, two had mistakenly locked tensioners from previous owners or mechanics. The set screw must be loose by half a turn so the tensioner shaft can move, and you use the locknut to make sure it stays loosened.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
            I checked to see if my camchain tensioner was working because my bike makes alot of "racket" on startup for about 2-4 minutes, then quiets down a bit. I went to make sure the tensioner moved. I went to twist it and it didnt move, and I had to "crack" it loose, not with alot of force, but it felt sticky at first, but after I cracked it it moved very freely. I could do this over and over if I let go of it for a minute then twist it again. Also when the bike is running it seems to be moving slightly back and fourth. Is this "stick" supposed to be there or does something need to be done about it?
            Thanks,
            Nick
            My tensioner did excatly the same thing (got "sticky") AFTER I rebuilt it. It seems to work fine though, so I'm not messing with it anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X