Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing parts? best way to preserve them??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing parts? best way to preserve them??

I have a crap load of old motorcycle parts I want to keep in the best condition possible and prevent rust and corrosion. I have everything from heads, trans ... exhaust sytems .. ......etc ...etc..

... .. ....should I stpray them down with WD40? Teflon lube???

What is the best way to go??

WD 40 is a good start. Spray them till they are wet then set asside. In a few days you get a film left by the evaporated spray. You can do it a couple times for best results. Then box and place in a dry place.
    v
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I use fogging spray -- you'll find it in the auto parts store near the 2-cycle boat oil, or sometimes near the lawn mower supplies.

It's good for the insides and outsides of metal parts, it stays on parts much better than WD-40, and doesn't smell like much of anything.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The US Military stores airplanes in Tuscon AZ. Dry. Dry. Dry. If you dont have a dehumidifier in your storage space look in the boating world for these dehumidifiers in a plastic container. Place the container in a pan and pop the cover. It will absorb moisture.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
        X