Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
    Dead battery?

My father-in-law has a first gen 750 with a kickstart and when he gets a dead battery kicking it over is much easier than jumping it or bumping it. Starts easy-as-pie with the kicker, too.
    I haven't had a dead battery on any of my GS bikes in 20 years. That's not because I'm lucky, but because I've maintained all my GS bikes religiously. I replace the battery every 2 years, whether it needs it or not. I check connections regularly and clean them. I also ride often and for long rides. When not riding for any length of time, the Battery Tender is connected.

The likelihood of a dead battery on a well-maintained motorcycle, one that is ridden regularly, is miniscule.

You say, "when he gets a dead battery..." That means your father-in-law gets dead batteries fairly often. That's inexcusable.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Mine started easy with a bump the day my clutch switch was bad.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
        You say, "when he gets a dead battery..." That means your father-in-law gets dead batteries fairly often. That's inexcusable.
        He takes reasonably good care of his motorcycles, but has a questionable battery at the moment. Honestly I'm pretty sure the sky won't fall because of it, but perhaps. He's been warned about the strain it's putting on his charging system, and I'm sure it'll be replaced soon.

Occasional dead batteries are a reality for any vehicle. When it happens, a kick start is handy.

Plus I must admit hopping on a bike and giving it a good kick is quite gratifying. I've always wished my GSs had kickers. Some day I'd like to build a cafe racer minus electric start so it has to be kicked each and every time. It's a novelty. As you said, to each his own.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Mine started easy with a bump the day my clutch switch was bad.
          Do what many GS riders do: Bypass the clutch switch altogether.

Comment

He takes reasonably good care of his motorcycles, but has a questionable battery at the moment. Honestly I'm pretty sure the sky won't fall because of it, but perhaps. He's been warned about the strain it's putting on his charging system, and I'm sure it'll be replaced soon.

Occasional dead batteries are a reality for any vehicle. When it happens, a kick start is handy.

Plus I must admit hopping on a bike and giving it a good kick is quite gratifying. I've always wished my GSs had kickers. Some day I'd like to build a cafe racer minus electric start so it has to be kicked each and every time. It's a novelty. As you said, to each his own.
            Occasional dead batteries are mostly preventable, much more so than people think.

I'm glad you've warned your father about the strain on the charging system. He's a candidate for a new stator and/or reg-rect if he continues running on a bad battery.

I can tell you're young, by the way you find that kickstarting a four-cylinder motorcycle, (with all that compression, camshafts, chain, etc.), is "gratifying". Gratifying to me is punching the starter button on my GK and hearing and feeling the engine instantly coming to life, every time without fail. I had enough of kickstarting, 37 years ago.

You must have a hand crank on your car, eh? :-D

Comment

I had kick starters on several (well, all) of my British bikes. None came with electric starts. When Norton added the electric start in 1975 (mine was a ’71) I thought it was stupid. Kicking was part of the process, the crap associated with the electric start added 40 pounds AND it was Lucas, so you knew it wouldn’t work anyway. Plus they had to cant the engine forward to fit the crap on.

Electric starters were stupid.

But……….I have an 1100cc four cylinder without the long stroke of a Norton. I don’t know if I could spin it enough to start it. Plus, this bike is ultra-reliable. Unlike Nick, who I think uses sealed batteries, I use the old cheap ($25) kind you have to fill and charge. It DOES go “bad” on occasion, but it just means it’s getting weaker for need of fluid. I top off with some distilled water, charge it or just ride it, and it’s good as new. If I need to go right then and it won’t start, a very little push down the driveway in second gear, pop the clutch at about 4 mph and it goes.

I don’t need no stinking kickstart. I have a reliable bike that gets ridden everyday.

If I had another Commando, I'd never get a '75 and I'd kick it everytime with a smile (except for those occasions when I kick it and kick it - three or four times is all I'd be good for - then take the car). Not on this one though.
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I can tell you're young, by the way you find that kickstarting a four-cylinder motorcycle, (with all that compression, camshafts, chain, etc.), is "gratifying". Gratifying to me is punching the starter button on my GK and hearing and feeling the engine instantly coming to life, every time without fail. I had enough of kickstarting, 37 years ago.

You must have a hand crank on your car, eh? :-D
                Well "dad" enjoys kicking it (maybe why he hasn't done the battery yet). Sometimes does it by hand even. It's that easy, even for an "old man" of 50+ years. ;-) And, yes, this is a good-running 750 with good compression.

A buddy has a CB750 with a kicker and it starts easy-as-pie, too. Doesn't take much of a kick at all and it's roared to life.

I'm not sure your experience with kicking is typical. I'd say it takes more finesse than brute force. You can turn over these motors with relative ease with an average sized socket wrench on the crank (say, when you're adjusting valves), and a kick start lever has more leverage and your leg has more power...

Sheesh, I thought the old guys were supposed to be the ones reminiscing about the "old days"??? :-P
                Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Sheesh, I thought the old guys were supposed to be the ones reminiscing about the "old days"??? :-P
                  Naaa, they just like going around bustin' people's chops if you don't agree with 'em.

Comment

You're correct, Bert. I use strictly the sealed-type battery on my GK.

So you had a Norton...

I'll never forget how I chanced upon a Norton rally (USNOA) in Virginia back in 1989. The snort'n Nortons flooded the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was easy to tell a Norton on the Parkway from any other motorcycle -- none of the Nortons were running with lights on, thanks, I suppose, to Mister Lucas.

It was also easy to tell the Nortons by the sweet exhaust sound they made!
                    The name of the rally was, after all, "Rolling Thunder".

Comment

Sheesh, I thought the old guys were supposed to be the ones reminiscing about the "old days"???

Those "old days" weren't always the best. Give me a reliable electric-start bike any time. I'll take my computers anytime -- typewriters suck!

I didn't mind kicking my RD350 two-stroke Yamaha back in the late 70's. I would mind kicking all that mass on my 1100GK.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                        Naaa, they just like going around bustin' people's chops if you don't agree with 'em.
                        Bustin' people's chops is a terrific sport!

:-D:-D:-D

Comment

Sheesh, I thought the old guys were supposed to be the ones reminiscing about the "old days"???

Those "old days" weren't always the best. Give me a reliable electric-start bike any time. I'll take my computers anytime -- typewriters suck!

I didn't mind kicking my RD350 two-stroke Yamaha back in the late 70's. I would mind kicking all that mass on my 1100GK.
                          Hey don't get me wrong, I love my electric start. I like it more than I'd like kicking it every time. I'm just sayin' -- in my experience kick starting isn't *that* bad. ;-) And if the man wants to add a kick start to his bike, more power to him! \\/

Comment

Hey don't get me wrong, I love my electric start. I like it more than I'd like kicking it every time. I'm just sayin' -- in my experience kick starting isn't *that* bad. ;-) And if the man wants to add a kick start to his bike, more power to him! \\/
                            Usually, t3rmin, major modifications like the one proposed on this thread are not cost effective. They usually involve lots of searching, money, time, and frustration, for very little gain.

I questioned the desire to add a kickstart to a bike that did not come with one, or even a provision for one.

You're right -- more power to the guy who wishes to add a kickstart. We old-timers, however, should and did ask "Why?".

I'm out of this thread. Just make sure your dad gets that battery!

Comment

Working...
                            X