carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs

hi, i have just bought some carbs off ebay for my gs1000 hc, the carbs i have got on at the moment are attached to the standed airbox, but the one i have bought have the bellmouths on, and have been jetted, do you think i should take the airbox off and put the new carbs on with the bellmouths or should i take the bellmouths off and attach them to the airbox, could anyone advise me what would be the best thing to do. thanks steve.

Welllllllllll...if the carbs that you bought have velocity stacks on them, there is a good chance that they have been rejetted. If your running stock exhaust, you'll most likely be running too rich. You'll have to pull the bowls and have a look at the jets, making sure they match the ones that you have in your bike now.

Comment

what are velocity stacks? im not sure what you guys are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
        what are velocity stacks? im not sure what you guys are talking about
        A velocity stack is a tapered or fluted piece that fits on the intake side of the carb bodies. They are used to increase the air flow into the carbs and keep it flowing at a directed rate without the creation of a vortex at the intake throat of the carb body. :shock:

Comment

Random observation: I noticed the rubber airbox boots on my 750 have a velocity stack-esque shape. Of course they terminate inside the airbox, so who knows if it makes a difference or not...

Comment

so its the same shape as a tapered pod filter but does not filter anything? then you add a filter to it right?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
              so its the same shape as a tapered pod filter but does not filter anything? then you add a filter to it right?
              You generally see them on racebikes, sans filter.

Here's a pic (found on Google images):

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                You generally see them on racebikes, sans filter.

Here's a pic (found on Google images):
                http://www.kingbirdmotoring.com/GS55...tacks_left.jpg
                A picture is worth a thousand words.... \\/

Comment

ok, thats what i was imagining, i have seen those on older cars too on top of the carbs... duh

Comment

Working...
                  X