X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent Help Needed Please!

Hi guys and gals,

I have a 1983 GS550E.
    So this morning I started up the bike, let it warm up, then took off.
    It was odd because the throttle felt "sticky", but I didn't really pay any attention to it.
    So I was coming up to a red light, about 2 minutes after I had taken off, and it had JUST turned red, so I decided to put it in neutral. So I put it in neutral, and the throttle decided to stay put and stick in that position and the engine revved so ridiculously fast I really didn't have time to put the throttle back down.
    Needless to say, something went POW POW POP POP POW, and it kept trying to stall and really wouldn't get above 2k RPM, but I had to get it home, so I turned it around and drove at about 20km/hr at almost WOT in first gear so it wouldn't stall (WOT only bringing it to about 2K RPM again), dealing with constant stuttering and sputtering and hesitation.
    So when I got home I turned the bike off, and now it won't start at all. I put the ignition to "on" and now power gets to the lights or instrument cluster, the bike is dead.

I REALLY need to know what could be the problem as this is my only form of transportation at the moment. If I could isolate something I would be able to fix it right away.

Please please please help me in my quest to solve this!

Any advice/suggestions/comments are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brock.

You need to determine if the problem is fuel or ignition related. Start by checking if you have enough fuel in the tank, set to reserve as necessary. Assuming that is not the problem, pull a couple of plugs and put them in the caps while turning the engine over with the plug grounded against the head - you should see spark. Again, assuming the plugs fire you should now check to see if there is any gas in the carbs - loosen the float bowl drain screws. There must be fuel in the carbs before the engine will fire.

Check these items and report back.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by vyzr View Post
      So when I got home I turned the bike off, and now it won't start at all. I put the ignition to "on" and now power gets to the lights or instrument cluster, the bike is dead.
      This seems to be some kind of typo -- I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I would start by checking the compression, may have bent a valve ???

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          I would start by checking the compression, may have bent a valve ???
          That's what I was thinking. I wonder if it would be best to not even try to fire the bike at all, but pull the ignition cover off and just turn the crank, making sure the cams are timed properly and the engine turns freely.

Comment

I think he means no power is getting to the lights or instruments. Sounds like the bike has a toasted charging system.

Charge the battery, get a multimeter, and hit the stator papers. The trouble-shooting flow chart is great.

Comment

i for one concuere with?

smagumusen.check eletrics, petrol flow.stator again!...
              then do it twice.these engines as far as I am cocerned dot go wrong unless a timing chain goes.ive had three engines and not one bent valve amungst them.think of the smallest thing.go from there NOT THE BIGGEST!
              good luck..

Comment

It sounds like you may have multiple problems to deal with and lots of advice on what to check, but on the electrical side, you might want to start with the main fuse. (as marz suggested, start with the small stuff first). The fact that you were able to drive it, but after shutting it off, everything was dead, could point to that.
                I had the main fuse on my 78 750 (one of those glass-tube types) fail mechanically on me. I had to take the fuse out to see that one end had come loose. But the symptom was that the bike would start up and run fine for a few minutes. Then it would run just like you described. Once I shut it off, it was totally dead. Interestingly, mine would cool off and after 30 minutes or so, I could repeat the whole sequence. I suspect my fuse wasn't totally open, but it was definitely bad.
                Bottom line, if the fuse opens or partially opens, the bike may still run strictly on stator power if you can get it started at all, but not well.

Comment

Working...
                X