Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying to get my 1100l to run right and it's just killing me. Every cylinder is lean. I have had the carbs apart 6 times jetting them and cleaning them. I have the single k&n pods with a v&h 4 into 1. It runs ok but every plug is lean. I think there is something wrong with the carbs themselves. Anybody have a set they want to get rid of. The guy before me did work to these and i think they are done. Thanks for any help Dan :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Welcome to my Hell!
    O.K. Calm down.
    Spend the cash to get the Dynojet stage 3 jet kit for your bike. Start from the begining. Proceede slowly and deliberatly and all will work out in the end.
    We're not only here to help, we're here to revel in your pain and suffering.

Steve

Comment

Re: I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l
      I have been trying to get my 1100l to run right and it's just killing me. Every cylinder is lean. I have had the carbs apart 6 times jetting them and cleaning them. I have the single k&n pods with a v&h 4 into 1. It runs ok but every plug is lean. I think there is something wrong with the carbs themselves. Anybody have a set they want to get rid of. The guy before me did work to these and i think they are done. Thanks for any help Dan :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
      Does your bike run allright? Does it overheat? If the answers are yes and no, just ride it. My plugs have read lean for the last 25k, I don't care, and my bike doesn't seem to either.

Comment

that is not good sound advice..... you have no idea just how lean your bike is ..... also what determin if your engine gets damaged is not just the rich lean condition of your bike but also the load condition of your bike if for example .... you weigh 150lbs have a 1100cc engine with a peak torque at 5 grand .... if you take that bike and lets say its running lean . if you ride easy and shift at 5 grand (peak torque) you may not hurt that bike ..... same bike and lean condition with a rider of 230lbs and someone that loads the engine and short shifts at 2500 rpm then he will have higher comb temps and most likely damage that engine .....

it is critical that you knkow what is going on inside that engine if you are going to be trying to get more hp out of it than it was designed for ....

as an example of how tediously balanced the conditions of an engine is.... a rich condition runs cool .... a lean condidition runs hotter.....
        the pistion and cyl head of your engine are made of aluminim .... witch melts at a temp of around 1200deg F even the exhaust temp is higher than that (1600) and the cumbustion temp is higher than that ... and thats for a stoiciometric a/f ratio... leaner will be considerabley hotter .... so why dosnt the pistion and the head melt ... because its only for a split second and the head gets disapated through the cooling fans and sent out the exhaust as well as it getts cooled by the incoming fuel.... if you run hotter than the engine can disapate the heat (lean a/f) then put that engine under load you will melt pistons heads and other parts.....

and we havent even gotn to piisten expansion and rings sticking ........

Comment

After six years, I doubt the OP is listening any more...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

doh..... lol....... i was in the middle of a search and for got i was looking at old post.........oh well now if someone else finds this info they wont be mislead....... or at least have the info to create an egucated choice on the matter....
            wow i gues the carb cleaning fumes are getting to my head .....lol

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              What's more, he's probably now a PO!!
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

errrr....seven.....
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  errrr....seven.....
                  DOH!

Yeah, but I'm still writing 2009 on everything, too. I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into this new decade.

But just last week, I told someone I was 42. I was born in May 1968...

And I can't find my torque wrench, either. Dammit, it was right here a couple of weeks ago...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

DOH!

Yeah, but I'm still writing 2009 on everything, too. I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into this new decade.

But just last week, I told someone I was 42. I was born in May 1968...

And I can't find my torque wrench, either. Dammit, it was right here a couple of weeks ago...
                    If you don't already have to wear glasses that's coming.

Comment

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into this new decade.
                      Just like all the hoo-hah over "the new millenium" a few years ago, it's not "this new decade" yet.

Look at it this way: the first decade was the years 1 through 10. Two thousand years later, the pattern follows, the decade would be 2001 through 2010.

Yeah, I'm one that believes "the new millenium" started in 2001, not 2000.

By the way, for any of you that were involved with the Y2K transition, can you imagine what it's going to be like after December 31, 9999 when we have to go to FIVE digits?

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        By the way, for any of you that were involved with the Y2K transition, can you imagine what it's going to be like after December 31, 9999 when we have to go to FIVE digits?

Being 1 month younger than bwringer and having my eyesight and memory go in the last year can I be the first to say I won't care. I think at 8031 years old it might be not that important.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: mathmatical incompetance

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Just like all the hoo-hah over "the new millenium" a few years ago, it's not "this new decade" yet.

Look at it this way: the first decade was the years 1 through 10. Two thousand years later, the pattern follows, the decade would be 2001 through 2010.

Yeah, I'm one that believes "the new millenium" started in 2001, not 2000.

Well, not sure about you Steve, but in the year 9999, if I'm doing more than eating my green jello and bitching about my meds and wanting my peas warmed up then I'll be very happy.

Comment

Working...
                          X