Just picked up an 850G - High Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up an 850G - High Idle problem

My dad and I just picked up a 1980 850G with 8k miles on the odometer. We don't know a whole lot about the history of the bike, except that the engine has been replaced. So far we have discovered a replacement r/r, an aftermarket petcock, and a large foam sponge jammed inside the air box :?.
    The bike starts fine now that it has a new battery and the engine seems very smooth.

The first problem we encountered was that the idle was changing speeds when the handle bars were turned in either direction. Looks like the PO had over tightened the throttle cable at the grip and was using that to keep the bike idling. We adjusted that to give it some slack. Fixed that problem, but then the bike wouldn't idle.

Found that the idle screw was unscrewed past the point where the threads actually catch, so it was just moving in and out freely by about 1/4 of an inch (it actually looks like he tried to use some sort of gum/goop to hold it in position). Screwing it in just enough that the threads hold it results in a high idle, at least 2k rpm (just guessing here since the tach is broken). The idle doesn't seem to change at all as the engine warms up.

This is our first time working on a Suzuki, so we're not really sure what to look for.
    So where should we start in trying to bring the idle down to normal?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, you need a couple of basic things

1. Adjust the valves
    2. Check the intake boots for hardness or cracking
    3. Change the oil
    4. The high idle may be caused by a number of things. Check the mixture screws and set about 1 1/2 turn out
    5. But it's highly likely the high idle is just caused by a misrouted or incorrect cable. Pull the tank, take it off at the carbs and route it thru the head light ear and down the right side (as you sit on the bilke) The cable should have adjusters at both ends, make sure it's got some slack in it. And lube it

Does the bike have the stock handlebars on it??
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Be prepared to spend the time giving your 850 a through check out.
      Firstly, buy a Clymer,Haynes, or Suzuki service manual. This will give you specifications and advice on overhaul and tuning prodeedures.
      The PO has obviously taken some extreme measures to keep your engine running. The slab of foam in the airbox and the botched up idle screw are good examples. These engines require a fully sealed intake system. Check the seals around the chromed end covers on the airbox. They swell with age and don't seal properly. Many owners replace the rubber seals with weather stipping.
      The high idle rpm is possibly caused by incorrect cable routing and lengths, but may also be due to incorrect carb synchronisation or jetting. It may pay you to pull the carbs and do a manual carb sync.
      The fact that another 850 engine has been installed after only 8k miles on the clock, is also suspicious.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        The bike came with a Clymer manual.
        The throttle cable is routed correctly and it does have some slack in it. I believe the bike does have the stock handlebars.
        The intake boots look to be in good condition.

I noticed that there is no vacuum line going from the #2 carb to the petcock, instead the PO had placed a rubber cap over the nipple on the carb. Replacing that cap with something a bit more airtight seemed to lower the rpm a little. Tried adjusting the mixture screws some, but it didn't make much of a difference.

I'm starting to wonder if the idle screw is the main cause of our problems.
        Is it normal when adjusting the idle screw for it to have an initial area that catches the threads, then about 1/2 inch of dead space, and then a second section where it starts threading again?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent099 View Post
          Thanks for the replies.
          The bike came with a Clymer manual.
          The throttle cable is routed correctly and it does have some slack in it. I believe the bike does have the stock handlebars.
          The intake boots look to be in good condition.

I noticed that there is no vacuum line going from the #2 carb to the petcock, instead the PO had placed a rubber cap over the nipple on the carb. Replacing that cap with something a bit more airtight seemed to lower the rpm a little. Tried adjusting the mixture screws some, but it didn't make much of a difference.

I'm starting to wonder if the idle screw is the main cause of our problems.
          Is it normal when adjusting the idle screw for it to have an initial area that catches the threads, then about 1/2 inch of dead space, and then a second section where it starts threading again?
          The idle adjustment screw should be completely threaded from the contact point to just short of the hand piece. That's probably the cause of your adjustment woes. It's something that would rarely be experienced on this forum, mainly because the PO has deliberately done this to compensate for other bad tuning practises. Replace it and start adjusting.
          Good luck.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Alright, I just pulled the screw out and the threading on the screw itself looks normal. So I guess the problem lies in the carb assembly where it screws in.
            Thanks for the help 49er

Comment

Sounds familiar

82 GS850 - 10k on the clock. I had a similar "high idle" problem when I first got it. Also it appears it had a newer head put on mine in the past.

I did this list one item at a time over the course of many weekends, with long delays waiting or parts to arrive. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it all at once and done it all at the same time. Just figure any rubber part that is directly attached to the engine is going to need to be replaced.

Here is what it took to get it running well:

front tire
              intake boots
              intake O rings
              airbox boots
              airbox re-seal
              valve adjustment w/ realgaskets
              Brake fluid flush front and rear
              new petcock
              Full carb cleaning (more than once)
              carb vacuum gauges + colortune

Still have to do:

Fork seals + progressive springs
              Brake pads
              repair cosmetic damage/dents and paint tank and side covers.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Brent099,

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

While you are changing the oil, don't forget to put fresh 90wt gear oil in the bevel gear case and the rear differential. For general reference you will find the carb rebuild series here and a valve adjustment pictorial here. You'll want to get a real air filter and replace all the rotted weatherstripping on the top of the filter cage and the side covers. The Uni filter uses a very light spritzing of oil.

The petcock on these bikes is vacuum operated. If you still have the original petcock and the vacuum has been defeated then you must set the petcock on "PRI" (Prime) in order for gas to get to the carbs. But realize then that the gas continues to flow after the motor is turned off leading to gas in the oil and other problems. Best get that sorted out, probably with a new petcock of the proper model.

Let us know how it goes. We look forward to helping you with your electrical charging issues too. :-D

If you'd like a Suzuki Shop Manual for your bike, PM me. I think I have an extra copy around here somewhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by simonp View Post
                  82 GS850 - 10k on the clock. I had a similar "high idle" problem when I first got it. Also it appears it had a newer head put on mine in the past.

I did this list one item at a time over the course of many weekends, with long delays waiting or parts to arrive. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it all at once and done it all at the same time. Just figure any rubber part that is directly attached to the engine is going to need to be replaced.

Here is what it took to get it running well:

front tire
                  intake boots
                  intake O rings
                  airbox boots
                  airbox re-seal
                  valve adjustment w/ realgaskets
                  Brake fluid flush front and rear
                  new petcock
                  Full carb cleaning (more than once)
                  carb vacuum gauges + colortune

Still have to do:

Fork seals + progressive springs
                  Brake pads
                  repair cosmetic damage/dents and paint tank and side covers.
                  When You see the Difference in Handling You will wish You had done the Progressives Earlier.
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    When You see the Difference in Handling You will wish You had done the Progressives Earlier.
                    I'll second that. Combined with upgraded calipers and the right pads, Ye Ha.
                    The other advantage is that you no longer need to check/adjust the air pressure on the front forks ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                      Are progressive springs available for the GS550B, 1977 model and if so where are they to be obtained from.

Comment

Check Here. http://www.progressivesuspension.com/
                        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse has progressive springs for $52.95 + shipping

DomainMarket.com sells premium domain names to entrepreneurs, businesses, and nonprofits that want to dominate their online marketplaces and control great brands.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

GS850G High Idle

I caused my own high idle problem by trying to sync the carbs without sealing the vacuum line to the fuel petcock. 3000rpm was the only place they'd align at all. Rode it that way for a week, got fed up and tried again, and then realized I'd just let the vacuum line dangle loose before and that put everything way out of whack. Not sure why, but my guess is that I was creating a massive intake leak on one of the carbs.

I corked the line, and started the sync process over and it came right into line. Now it just purrs at around 1000 where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                              Are progressive springs available for the GS550B, 1977 model and if so where are they to be obtained from.

The Progressives dealer is in Sydney Don, give Action Suzuki a call they should be able to give you their number, or order them in for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X