brake lite on dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake lite on dash

my brake lite on the dash flickers on and off .new rear pads new fluid,front pads look good ,brakes work good also ,is it a pressure sensor? thanks blair.

What year, make 'n model of bike are you talking about Blair? Do you have a wiring diagram for it (that you could link us to)? I only ask because the 2 Suzuki's I've owned didn't have a brake (warning) light.

Comment

Brake light on the dash?

Please explicate...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Mine has one too. (and a pretty side stand warning light too ) .. does it indicate a non-functional bulb ?

Comment

Yep, that light says the brake light isn't working, if it's flickering, the brakelight is probably flickering also.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

break lite

that is a picture of my 1982 gs 1100 e someone posted ,brakes work great light just comes of and on when it wants, blair ps thanks guys and gals

Comment

Brake light light is more related to the brake light bulb. Same as tail light light is about the tail light bulb. Is trying to tell you the light bulb is burnt out or some other such problem with the circuit.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

break lite

ill check circut and bulb thanks

Comment

The first place to look should be the socket that the bulb sits in. Make sure it is clean and has a bit of tension on the bulb for good electrical contact.

Next, make sure the whole socket assembly is grounded. Some times there is a separate gound wire, other times, the manufacturers relied on bolting things together tightly to assure electrical connection. Either way, something might be corroded a bit over the last 25 or so years, so check.

Third thing to check is to make sure you have an appropriate bulb in the brake light. It is my impression that the check light circuit will monitor the current going to the brake light when it is applied. If the current is too low, it assumes a bad filament or other connection and lights the warning lamp. It is possible, with the proliferation of similar bulbs available nowadays, that your check circuit will trip at 23 watts, but you have a 21 watt bulb. It will still put out a bright brake light, but it does not draw quite enough current to keep the monitor off. Not sure what Suzuki recommends, but I prefer a 2357 bulb. If I can't get one of them real quick, I will settle for an 1157. (The 2357 has a 32-watt brake filament, the 1157 is 27 watts.)

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X