front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
    Thanks for all the input fellas. The problem that I always have is that I live in a place in the mountains of SE-Ky [population = 600 (including me and my family)] so there are no local manufacturers of anything!

I love living this way and must admit that doing business over the internet has vastly uncomplicated my life (this site for example). The nearest Suzuki dealer is 80 miles south.
    I'll bet you have an industrial bearing and belting/power transmission shop in the area with all the mining in the region. Those bearings in the front and rear wheels are very common.

JC Whitney has Chinese bearings dirt cheap. Less than $4 each last time I bought 'em, but it's been awhile since they were on sale and I got a couple sets for both bikes at $3.20 each plus shipping. They were the two sided rubber sealed variety.

Comment

Yep......I called a buddy of mine at a mining supply warehouse and he found the bearings I needed for $12.53per. Its' only 30 miles away!

Thanks fellas:

Comment

I just bought a set of rear wheel bearings from Pyramid Parts on ebay for a 78 GS750. When I got them, both bearings had the correct 6204 part number on them, but the inner race on one bearing was about 0.020" inch smaller than the other, which wouldn't allow the axle to slide through the bearing. Of course I didn't notice this until after I had installed them.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever ran into this before. I guess thats what I get for buying cheap chinese bearings. They couldn't even remember to ream the holes to the proper dimensions before sending them out. I think next time I'll try to find some quality bearings locally.

Comment

Originally posted by twinapache View Post
          I just bought a set of rear wheel bearings from Pyramid Parts on ebay for a 78 GS750. When I got them, both bearings had the correct 6204 part number on them, but the inner race on one bearing was about 0.020" inch smaller than the other, which wouldn't allow the axle to slide through the bearing. Of course I didn't notice this until after I had installed them.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever ran into this before. I guess thats what I get for buying cheap chinese bearings. They couldn't even remember to ream the holes to the proper dimensions before sending them out. I think next time I'll try to find some quality bearings locally.
          It definitely sounds like you got a bum bearing. That sucks.

But nope, I've never had a problem, even with El Cheapo bearings. They're made to withstand far higher loads and speeds than those generated by motorcycles, so quality doesn't matter a whole lot. The only thing that kills them is water and dirt.

This looks like a good place to stock up:
          Offers low price, high quality power transmission products including pillow block bearings, ATV Bearings, roller chain, disc harrow bearings, Arctic Cat Bearing, Honda Bearing, Yamaha Bearing, ball bearings, and flange bearings.

Less than $3 each for 6302-2RS
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dennis Kirk has the set by "All Ball" for $10.99. that doesn't seem so bad.

I bought ALL BALL steering head bearings for my Yamaha 650 Seca. They don't fit correctly. I'm still using them though...

I have found that the local bearing house, if you are lucky enough to have one near by, also has a good selection of O rings, with a variety of materials available, Buna-N, Nitrile, Viton, etc. with a variety of hardness ratings even.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

As inexpensive as they are, I went all balls throughout. Rear wheel, front wheel, upper and lower steering stem all replaced. The only thing I didn't do is the bushings in the swingarm, all balls doesn't carry and OEM are about $30 each. I think mine are fine, with cleaning and grease.

Comment

Let me just check with you that I've got the size right.

I'm replacing bearings on both wheels on my GS1100G, and would like to know if the bearings both are 6302-RS on the front wheel?
                ( 45mm outer diametre, 15mm inner diametre and 13mm thickness )
                And the same question on the rear wheel - are both bearings the same dimension, 6303-RS?
                ( 47mm outer diametre, 17mm inner diametre and 14mm thickness )

I'm going to the local hardwarestore, they have good selection of SKF bearings that will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100G View Post
                  Let me just check with you that I've got the size right.

I'm replacing bearings on both wheels on my GS1100G, and would like to know if the bearings both are 6302-RS on the front wheel?
                  ( 45mm outer diametre, 15mm inner diametre and 13mm thickness )
                  And the same question on the rear wheel - are both bearings the same dimension, 6303-RS?
                  ( 47mm outer diametre, 17mm inner diametre and 14mm thickness )

I'm going to the local hardwarestore, they have good selection of SKF bearings that will do the job.

Yes, that's correct for your bike and all other GS shafties. Just two 6303 bearings in the rear wheel.

All or almost all GS models use the same front bearings, but the chain drive models have three bearings in the rear wheel, and I don't remember what sizes they are.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks!
                    I checked the local dealers and found that the agricultural service center have, of all things, John Deere bearings that will do the job!
                    Prices here was between US$10 to US$90 for the same bearings ... it pays to shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      It definitely sounds like you got a bum bearing. That sucks.

But nope, I've never had a problem, even with El Cheapo bearings. They're made to withstand far higher loads and speeds than those generated by motorcycles, so quality doesn't matter a whole lot. The only thing that kills them is water and dirt.

This looks like a good place to stock up:
                      Offers low price, high quality power transmission products including pillow block bearings, ATV Bearings, roller chain, disc harrow bearings, Arctic Cat Bearing, Honda Bearing, Yamaha Bearing, ball bearings, and flange bearings.

Less than $3 each for 6302-2RS
                      I just ordered enough bearing for 3 sets of 17" GSXR wheels (less one inner carrier bearing). Total with shipping is $56

Could not have been easier .

Even a "----fill in ---" could have done it

The Big Bearing Store Items
                      2 6305-2RS 6305-ZZ Radial Ball Bearing 25mm Bore @ $5.75 = $11.50
                      12 6204-2RS 6204-ZZ Radial Ball Bearing 20mm Bore @ $2.70 = $32.40
                      Sub-Total: $43.90
                      Shipping: $12.07 (UPS Ground)
                      Sales Tax: $0.00
                      The Big Bearing Store Total: $55.97
                      These bearings are about $13 from the dealer, which would have done the rear of one wheel.

Comment

Working...
                      X