tail lamp elliminators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail lamp elliminators

i've seen it done on newer bikes with dual bulbs in the tail lamps does anyone know of a way of integrating the tail lamps to make a dual bulb tail lamp also turn signals. i've seen them for sale but it seems possible to do myself.

I dont know about your area, but here, turnsignals have to have 12" of separation to be legal. Of course, if your tail light is more than 12" wide, no problem. :-)

Earl
    Originally posted by litshoot View Post
    i've seen it done on newer bikes with dual bulbs in the tail lamps does anyone know of a way of integrating the tail lamps to make a dual bulb tail lamp also turn signals. i've seen them for sale but it seems possible to do myself.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

They may do it on newer bike but it is sill NOT legal. WHY give the cops a reason to stop you ???

Comment

As noted above, it's not really smart or legal...

Disclaimers aside, the first thing you need, obviously, is a tail light with two bulbs. I don't recall any GS models that have this, but then again I don't know everything. AFAIK, there's not a good way to stuff two bulbs into a single bulb tail light.

There is someone working on a conversion where the tail light lens is stuffed with LEDs. If the LEDs are separated into groups, this could prove useful.

From there, all you need is one of those small converter boxes used for trailer wiring.

One setup I've seen on a few newer Hardley-Ablesons is kinda neat, and it's actually legal. They simply use two red turn signals and no tail light at all -- the tail, turn, and stop signals work like those on a trailer or old American car.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          There is someone working on a conversion where the tail light lens is stuffed with LEDs. If the LEDs are separated into groups, this could prove useful.
          Yes, that "someone" would be me. 8-[

Project is on standby due to lack of finances, but is still on the back burner, keeping warm.
          I had not thought of dividing the LED array into halves, and probably won't.

I have seen some replacements for the rice rockets that have clear lenses.
          Interspersed with the red LEDs for the tail/brake light are yellow LEDs for the turn signals.
          Nice idea, but it won't work behind a red lens.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Disclaimers aside, the first thing you need, obviously, is a tail light with two bulbs. I don't recall any GS models that have this, but then again I don't know everything. AFAIK, there's not a good way to stuff two bulbs into a single bulb tail light.
            Snipped rest.

I am pretty sure one of the versions of the 650s has 2 bulbs.
            Mine doesn't, but I saw it in the manual that one of the other versions does (and I was jealous since I want my taillight brighter).

Comment

i'm already looking to redo the back of the bike. i'm going to make a new rear and be retrofitting a hayabusa tail lamp into it. it has two bulbs in it, the kits to make it work are 15 dollars. but i was thinking it shouldn't be all that hard to actually make it work on its own. i was just wondering if anyone had done something like this before i sit down and starting making up my own wiring schematics to make it work right. i'm thinking i'm going to end up using relays for making it flash but am not sure yet.
              i'm cheap with big ideas. i'm waiting to get a hid setup from where i work(i'm a mechanic and am just waiting for one to be broken) and i'm going to make a hid headlamp as well. i've got the times, i've got the ability , and can get most supplies, but money is tight.

Thanks to everyones help on this forum its been a great resource for me.

Comment

Originally posted by litshoot View Post
                ... i'm thinking i'm going to end up using relays for making it flash but am not sure yet.
                No need for relays. Just get one of the tail/brake light convertors for trailer towing. The only thing to be aware of when using one of them is that, while the front and rear signals flash together, as they should, when you apply the brake, they will flash opposite each other. That is, when the front is ON, the back will be OFF. When the back is ON the front will be OFF. When you release the brake, they will flash together again.

Nothing wrong with that, but it will surprise you when you see it the first time. :shock:

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Also, FWIW, when I wired my Corolla for towing, the only lighting converter that actually worked was the one I bought at U-Haul.

I tried four or five others from various auto parts stores, and none of them did... anything. At all. They were totally inert chunks of plastic with wires sticking out.

Maybe I just got really unlucky or something.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wow..that is some rotten luck. How exactly do they work? Would it be hard to build such a thing by hand?

Comment

Also, FWIW, when I wired my Corolla for towing, the only lighting converter that actually worked was the one I bought at U-Haul.

I tried four or five others from various auto parts stores, and none of them did... anything. At all. They were totally inert chunks of plastic with wires sticking out.

Maybe I just got really unlucky or something.
                      Nothing to do with luck, there. That happens to be the consensus in the GoldWing world, too, where they happen to do a fair bit of trailer towing.
                      Although they all look pretty much the same, the U-Haul units work.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Wow..that is some rotten luck. How exactly do they work? Would it be hard to build such a thing by hand?
                      It is very possible to build one from scratch (but not the same 'scratch' they use to make cakes 8-[ ). The easiest way involves some wiring and a couple of relays, but for what is involved in the cost of parts and the time it takes to put it all together, not counting the size of the finished product, just spend the $15 and be done with it.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

From there, all you need is one of those small converter boxes used for trailer wiring.

One setup I've seen on a few newer Hardley-Ablesons is kinda neat, and it's actually legal. They simply use two red turn signals and no tail light at all -- the tail, turn, and stop signals work like those on a trailer or old American car.
                        I have all LED's in the rear and then some. there are red LED's that function as extra tail lights and brake lights in the turn signals as well as amber LED's

vid clip!
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                        X