Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any problems with 10.9 metric bolts in the exhaust

Hello Everyone:

So I'm going to be pulling the head off my 79 gs550e. I successfully removed all but one of the exhaust bolts. I found harder replacement bolts with 10.9 stamped on the top, similar in strength to a grade 8 SAE bolt. Will I have any problems using these rather than softer steel ones? Any problems concerning heat, expansion, or stretching? I really just don't want to deal with anymore broken bolts, nor do i want to deal with stripped threads in the head.

All ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance. And yes, I already searched for tips to remove that last broken bolt: penetrating oil, heat, visegrips, welded nut, NO easy-outs.

/s/ Sean

I use anti seize ALWAYS on those bolts
    BTW hardened bolts will be great!!

I have allen type at lower grade than than you intend to use. they are fine

do not over torque!!! it does not need to be as tight as you think or whoever put the problems in your cyl. head thought.

15~18 ft/lbs max

I'd rather re-tighten a loose bolt than machine remove a crammmed one

smashed/old ex gaskets will force you to try to tighten the pipe up and bottom out the bolts,possibly while the pipe is still loose. !beware of this!
    know the depth!!
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
      15~18 ft/lbs max
      Are you sure that's right? Sounds high to me but I don't have a manual with me. I vaguely remember it being quite a bit less.

Comment

Why not use studs?
        Save the wear and tear on the aluminum threads.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i use allen head stainless bolts with anti seize, no probs
          GS850GT

Comment

I have wondered the same thing..

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Why not use studs?
            Save the wear and tear on the aluminum threads.

Comment

Great feedback

Thanks everyone! Thats what I'm talking about!

I was thinking about studs, but the blatant truth is that I am going to repair this bike as easily as possible. Lowes readily sells a small selection of metric bolts, and I'm going to utilize this. The bike is good yes, but its seen better days and i'm walking the thin line over a money pit as we speak. I can always switch over to studs at a later date, if I come across a great deal.

While I'm thinking about it, is there any chance that I could reuse the head gasket? Its probably original.

/s/ Sean

Comment

you dont want to re-use a headgasket because of the chance of leaking. also, the new ones are MLS, as i found out, or Multi-Layer Steel. they are better than the old ones anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  i use allen head stainless bolts with anti seize, no probs
                  Me too. Stainless allens with looooooootttts of anti-sieze. And they look really cool, too.

I tighten them by hand with a t-handle allen wrench -- not much chance of over-torquing that way.

About twice a year, I crack them loose and re-torque just to be sure they still move, and I re-apply anti-seize every year or two if I haven't removed the exhaust for some other reason in the meantime.

You really should install new exhaust gaskets when you remove/replace the exhaust. You might get away with it once or twice, but eventually they won't seal and it'll get noisy and run funny.

It's also worthwhile to replace the slip joint exhaust gaskets underneath when they get haggard. These will cause popping, strange noises, and sub-optimal running when they leak as well.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

no problems with SS allen bolts 65000 km, I tighten by hand and I have to remove the pipe to change the filter
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

One more thing... you won't find the hardware you need at Lowe's or any of the other "big box" stores.

Any REAL hardware store, such as Ace or DoItBest, will have the stainless steel allen head goodies you seek.

Or you can order 'em by the box from McMaster-Carr: http://mcmaster.com or individually from Bolt Depot: http://boltdepot.com
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

studs are the way to go, I had 3 broken bolts, I was able to only helicoil 2. So now I have 7 studs and nuts holding on my exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                        X