Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks

An 82' 850GZ. I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I was just wondering where (a link) I could find a set of shocks that wont break my wallet... Thanks again guys.

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
    An 82' 850GZ. I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I was just wondering where (a link) I could find a set of shocks that wont break my wallet... Thanks again guys.
    How big is your wallet ?

$100 each for a set of progressives would be a good deal.

JC Whitney has something cheaper.

Ive got some used off my 1100 for real cheap.

After that your up against Ebay.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

The $80 MDI/Emgo shocks are supposedly pretty good if you're a large-ish humanoid. They tend to be too stiff for the wee folk. You also see these shocks on eBay for the same money.

For around $200, you can get a set of Progressive shocks with springs that suit your weight at http://z1enterprises.com .

A set of Hagons also start at about $200, and are very nice.
      This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

You have to call Dave to order and answer a few questions about your riding habits and weight.

Here's a set of used Progessives cheap on eBay. Condition is sort of unknown, but they're cheap and Progressives are known to last quite a long time -- mine have over 60,000 miles and are just barely starting to get a little bouncy. Might be worth a try:
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks bwringer. I have looked at them and am going to ask a quest or two. Mine have the 4 settings and are a mix of chrome/rust. They do not leak, which I don't even know if I should bother. But $25 is not so bad I guess.

Comment

Will the progressive shocks off an 850G fit the 1100G?
          Will those 1100E shocks fit the 1100G too?

Comment

I dont know Lurch. I am not going to bid on them, because my shocks do not leak and I dont wanna replace them if they are not leaking. Best of luck to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Will the progressive shocks off an 850G fit the 1100G?
              Will those 1100E shocks fit the 1100G too?
              The 1100E shocks are eye to clevis and about 14" bolt to bolt. Heres the stock and progressive.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                I dont know Lurch. I am not going to bid on them, because my shocks do not leak and I dont wanna replace them if they are not leaking. Best of luck to ya.
                Johnny,

I hate to tell you this, but just because your shocks are not leaking it does not mean they are working well, or at all. If they are original or even close, they are junk at this point.

Trying to save $$ on suspension is a false economy, IMO. There are places to save and places to not save. Suspension and brakes are two places I will not scrimp on. I would hate to dump a bike because I decided it was a good idea to save a few dollars on a critical component. Very similar to using a $30 helmet, for instance.

Just my $0.02...

Mark

Comment

Shocks

Hi Johnny,
                  I have to agree that there are some things in life you should not let slide by, eg. free tickets to the Moto GP, the all you can eat $10 seafood buffet at the club and bike shocks. Shocks are almost as critical as brakes when it comes to the bike keeping you safe and letting you really enjoy the ride as it should be. Those little puppies are the only thing keeping the rear tyre on the road ( not your body or the weight of the bike) at all times unless your in the Do-nut King Stunt Team thrashing the guts out of a 1200 Bandit, love watching them at the GP! Shocks have a very hard life and though they may not be leaking a rebuild or replacement is money well spent. Iam sure there will be a fine set of shocks and more help on this matter from the members here, cheers.
                  Shin-Ken 1074
                  1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                  1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    The 1100E shocks are eye to clevis and about 14" bolt to bolt. Heres the stock and progressive.

Stupid question, but is the top one from the used pair of progressive shocks that you are selling cheap?
                    You may PM me with price, but I have to check if they fit my '83 GS1100G.
                    thanks

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

The 1100G or GL would use the same shocks as an 850G or GL (and 1000G/GL) -- they're mostly the same chassis, and the shocks are 13" (330mm) eye-to-eye.

The eye-to-clevis shocks are strictly for the chain-driven primitives. :razz:

I will also toss in my $0.02 to reiterate that the stock shocks are evil, dangerous junk. It's very much worth it to skip mocha lattes for a while or brown bag it for a couple of weeks to get some decent replacements.

We're not being elitist here -- you will notice the difference immediately and you will be much safer with decent replacement shocks.

With the specs above, you can troll eBay for Progressive, Hagon, or Ikon shocks with the correct measurements, and often score a bargain. Or the MDI/Emgo shocks are perfecty acceptible, too, and only $80 a set.

Don't neglect the front suspension, too -- Progressive fork springs and fresh fork oil are likewise mandatory safety upgrades. Many people start with the forks, since the springs and oil are a bit cheaper than shocks.

Every last rider I know who has upgraded his or her suspension has commented that they should have done it much sooner. It really makes a huge difference.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          The 1100G or GL would use the same shocks as an 850G or GL (and 1000G/GL) -- they're mostly the same chassis, and the shocks are 13" (330mm) eye-to-eye.

The eye-to-clevis shocks are strictly for the chain-driven primitives. :razz:

I will also toss in my $0.02 to reiterate that the stock shocks are evil, dangerous junk. It's very much worth it to skip mocha lattes for a while or brown bag it for a couple of weeks to get some decent replacements.

We're not being elitist here -- you will notice the difference immediately and you will be much safer with decent replacement shocks.

With the specs above, you can troll eBay for Progressive, Hagon, or Ikon shocks with the correct measurements, and often score a bargain. Or the MDI/Emgo shocks are perfecty acceptible, too, and only $80 a set.

Don't neglect the front suspension, too -- Progressive fork springs and fresh fork oil are likewise mandatory safety upgrades. Many people start with the forks, since the springs and oil are a bit cheaper than shocks.

Every last rider I know who has upgraded his or her suspension has commented that they should have done it much sooner. It really makes a huge difference.
                          OK, Brian, you've convinced me. At 210lbs with an '81 GS850, I figure I can go with the Heavy Duty 335mm eye-to-eye Emgos from CRC. At the risk of hijacking the thread, do you have any tips or links for suspension set-up?

Comment

Working...
                          X