Progressive fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive fork springs

I am a little confused. I would like to replace my stock fork springs with Progressives. According to their website, they list them for the GS850G model. I have the "l" model. Are they the same? They list the part number for that as 11-1107. Has anyone done this? MAW has a good price, but if they don't fit they won't be of much use. Thanks for the input.

Look on babbit suzuki site to see if the two models originally had the same springs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bike Bandit shows different part numbers (bit it's their own part number).

Flatout shows the L springs as 'discontinued'.

Babbits shows different Suzuki part numbers.

What is the difference? I don't know, it might just need a different preload spacer for the L's leading axle setup.
      I would call Progressive on their Tech Support phone line or send them an e-mail. I have found them good to deal with.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

What is the difference? I don't know, it might just need a different preload spacer for the L's leading axle setup.

Yup, that's all there is to it. Same Progressive springs for G/GL, but you'll need to go into town and get another hunk of PVC because the GL spacers will need to be longer, and the hunk they supply isn't quite long enough to make two.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes, that is the spring I used on both my 1000L & 1100L and will use for the 850L when I get to it. I used 15 W fork oil at the level per the Progressive instructions. The forks are essentially the same between the 850 & up L models. My 850 is 536 lbs dry weight and the 1100 is 538 dry weight per the owners manuals.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I bought mine from MAW and went to Home Depot and bough extra PVC pipe. Just follow the instructions on how much pipe to have sticking out of the top of the forks. Pretty easy.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X