Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket

When replacing the head gasket does anyone use RTV gasket sealer or is it just as well without?
    '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
    '03 DR650
    sigpic

Head gaskets go on dry.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

no no no, no rtv on the head gasket, or on any gasket for that matter.
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

head gasket dry
        other gaskets lightly greased

imho
        GS850GT

Comment

RTV is only to be used on old Chevys and suchlike, NEVER on a motorcycle.

A light coat of grease on valve cover and clutch cover gaskets is a nice way to make sure you can remove and re-use them later if needed.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by 7th day View Post
            When replacing the head gasket does anyone use RTV gasket sealer or is it just as well without?
            NO !

"multi shim" style Suzuki head gaskets are designed to "crush" when you apply the specified torque. If you wad RTV on the gasket you will end up with a false overall thickness. The RTV could also dispell into unwanted areas (such as oil passage ways) causing blockages. Dry head gaskets, and I prefer Permatex spray on Ultra Copper adhesive for all other paper type GS gaskets

Comment

My clymer for Suzuki gs750 says to use suzukibond (threebond) 1211 on the headgasket for the 8 valve model. I didn't think this was right, but did it anyhow. I've had no problems.

Comment

Working...
              X