No announcement yet.

Your Latest/Best Tire Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after considering all of your suggestions and feedback, I've decided to go with the Pirelli Sport Demons. Why?

1) Everyone agrees they have great "stick"
    2) Cost from DennisKirk.com is actually about $15 CHEAPER than for the Avon Roadrider AM26's.
    3) There's only a $20 increase for me to buy at my local dealer (assuming I can't negotiate the difference).

Here's a spreadsheet (in *.pdf format) of my comparison shopping for anyone who's wondering about where to buy or who's charging what. Keep in mind that the tax and shipping amounts are based on a MD ship to and all Grand Totals include mounting by my local dealer who, if you buy the tires from them, will discount the tires by 15% and discount the mounting fee from $165 to $125 which allows them to be competitive in this market. Enjoy and thanks to all who have contributed!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      I guess I'm the only one here that was very unhappy with the Sport Demons.
      I bought one set of them for my 1150 and spent more time going sideways with them spinning/sliding than I have with any tire outside of a Cheng Shen of 20 years ago. I would describe their rain capability as frightening, minimal traction and the bike would slide both wheels sideways on an easy 15 mph turn into a side street. Never again for me.

Earl
      Wow! That's a stark contrast to EVERYTHING else I've seen about them. So what tires would you recommend/are you running?

Comment

Oil them? hahahahaha Nope, I followed my usual prep of sanding them with #80 grit on an orbital sander before mounting them. heheh I went back to my Metzelers.

Earl

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Did you over oil them?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

NOW I understand

Oil them? hahahahaha Nope, I followed my usual prep of sanding them with #80 grit on an orbital sander

So THATs how you get rid of chicken strips ... :shock:

NOW I understand ... \\/

Grinning, ducking, and running.

Comment

I just flat cannot believe what you have to pay for mounting and balancing. I got a set of Dunlop 404 tires installed on my bike at a local kawasaki dealer for $240 including sales tax - TOTAL. The installation was a total of $54 of that amount.

For the prices you are talking I would definately learn to mount and balance tires really fast. Did you have Congressmen mounting your tires there in DC? They hump pretty good I hear.

Comment

LMAO. hehhhhehehehe Chicken strips are a good thing. When I look at the sides of my tires and the strips are getting thin, I remind myself to back it off a little. As I've aged, I've found it more and more annoying to run out of tread and traction in a curve. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
              So THATs how you get rid of chicken strips ... :shock:

NOW I understand ... \\/

Grinning, ducking, and running.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just ordered a set of Road Riders, $160 delivered.
                I enjoy mounting tires, and removing the chicken strips the old fashioned way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tell me about the chicken strips on your airplanes.

Earl :-)

Comment

Tell me about the chicken strips on your airplanes.

Earl :-)
                    There are 36 of them. Pretty wide too.

Comment

If you would learn to "lean her in" to those crosswind landings, you would'nt have that problem.

Earl

There are 36 of them. Pretty wide too.

Comment

The Harbor Freight Tire changer and Motorcycle adapter are both on sale again through Sunday, so if you're considering buying one now would be a good time. While you're at it, check to see if they have any coupons for additional savings. If you're on their mailing list you'll occasionally receive fliers that include a coupon for 15% off a single item or the entire purchase. The "Entertainment Book" I've got also has a coupon like this that could be used even on the sale price items.

Regards,

Comment

Its too bad Continental Road Attacks are not made in the narrow sizes the GS's use. Damn! those things stick at unbelievable angles and to the point one starts thinking about installing sliders on the handlebar ends. LOL

Earl

Comment

If you would learn to "lean her in" to those crosswind landings, you would'nt have that problem.

Earl
                            That would take care of two strips, what can I do to get rid of the other 34?
                            That is a hell of a lot of sanding.

Comment

Wow, Help me with this one guys. I just got ready to order my sport demons, and happened to look at the schematic for my bike on Bike Bandit (81 GS1000G), and the schematic shows a tube..... It's a 1981, I thought it was tubeless... can I mount a tubeless on a rim designed for a tube? Is it REALLY a tubeless, I thought that was pre-1980.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
                                I just flat cannot believe what you have to pay for mounting and balancing. I got a set of Dunlop 404 tires installed on my bike at a local kawasaki dealer for $240 including sales tax - TOTAL. The installation was a total of $54 of that amount.

For the prices you are talking I would definately learn to mount and balance tires really fast. Did you have Congressmen mounting your tires there in DC? They hump pretty good I hear.
                                Well, keep in mind that the $125/$165 is based on riding the bike in. If I take the wheels off myself and drop them to the shop they cut that price in half. Also, this particularly shop is located in one of the most expensive counties in the US, so I will be shopping the mounting service before I pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind changing the tires myself with the proper tools, but I simply don't have the space to invest in the tools and I hate the idea of just trying to "get by" to do it myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X