Your Latest/Best Tire Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont forget the Elite III Dunlops

I currently have the Demons on my 1000 and just put a set of the Elite III's on my 1100 for this season. I was following Brian last weekend on our early season "scouting trip" for the BC ride and for low 40's temps the III's were very stable and felt sticky. Although they only had 23 miles on them when I started after about 100 miles I started to push them a little bit and they wanted more. IMO either tire would be plenty sticky for most riders but the Elite III"s are supposed to get more tread life and that is why I gave them a try. As I recall Brian said he got over 10,000 miles out of a set of the Elites when they made them in sizes to fit his bike. The Elites do not have a large range of sizes available but if they make ones to fit your bike I would strongly consider them.
    Last edited by twr1776; 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM. Reason: punctuation
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Probably both made under license in China by now.
      Nope, the Avons clearly have made in Britain stamped on them. This sort of highly automated process with reasonably large freight costs is often more cost effective done domestically.

Cheaper than the Pirelli's too. $150 a set for my bike.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
        Thanks for all the feedback so far. Great dialogue of experience and opinion!

My riding style isn't all that "spirited" right now, but that's very intentional due to the tires that I've got currently - my best estimation/read is that they're 5 years old! :shock: They're virtually new in terms of tread and there are no signs of compromised carcass, but I just can't get to agressive on these tires since they're probably hard as a rock just due to age.

I think I'll go with the Pirelli Sport Demons! Woohoo! Ron Ayers has the right sizes for about $95 front and $100 rear. I've never changed my own tires, so I'll probably have my local dealer do the job. They charge $145 to "out the door" for two tires. If I buy the tires from them, they'll cut that price to $125 and give me 15% discount on the tire cost. That puts me in the range of about $325 for all new rubber. Sound reasonable?
        $160 for two new Avons sounds reasonable.
        But if you don't want to try it you can probably find a local shop too do tires a lot cheaper than a dealer, there's a guy here that does two for $25 or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My attitude these days is to preserve my 26 year old pride and joy (the Katana, my wife has "products" to address that issue) for as long as I can and to help in that cause I no longer factor in the price of a tyre. Give me the best tyre for the job it has to do. Not always easy but thanks to the helpful people here at GSR that process can be fast tracked, ha ha he he he. Thanks to replies from an earlier post regarding tyres Iam going with the Pirelli Sport Demons for my 82 1100 Kat. When they've done some miles I'll let you know how they perform.
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 04-03-2008, 05:53 PM.
          Shin-Ken 1074
          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I've installed the Sport Demons myself on my GS750E and they didn't need balancing. Pirelli is Italian but the tires are made in Brazil. Love the way they handle.
            '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
            '03 DR650
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
              I currently have the Demons on my 1000 and just put a set of the Elite III's on my 1100 for this season. I was following Brian last weekend on our early season "scouting trip" for the BC ride and for low 40's temps the III's were very stable and felt sticky. Although they only had 23 miles on them when I started after about 100 miles I started to push them a little bit and they wanted more. IMO either tire would be plenty sticky for most riders but the Elite III"s are supposed to get more tread life and that is why I gave them a try. As I recall Brian said he got over 10,000 miles out of a set of the Elites when they made them in sizes to fit his bike. The Elites do not have a large range of sizes available but if they make ones to fit your bike I would strongly consider them.
              Looks like it's more touring than sport and it doesn't come in sizes for my bike, so I'll stick with the Demons. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                My attitude these days is to preserve my 26 year old pride and joy (the Katana, my wife has "products" to address that issue) for as long as I can and to help in that cause I no longer factor in the price of a tyre. Give me the best tyre for the job it has to do. Not always easy but thanks to the helpful people here at GSR that process can be fast tracked, ha ha he he he. Thanks to replies from an earlier post regarding tyres Iam going with the Pirelli Sport Demons for my 82 1100 Kat. When they've done some miles I'll let you know how they perform.
                Well said! My main goal is to give myself every opportunity to maintain traction. A bit more $$$ spent is a small fee to afford oneself a greater advantage in what may be the most critical part of any motorcycle for both fun and safety.

Comment

I had forgotten to add "CHEAP LIFE INSURANCE!" Glad somebody touched on that point. $160 Avons (good as they are) versus $195 Sport Demons and I'll gladly spend the slight $35 difference in cost for ANY edge in grip and performance.

Regards,

Comment

Bead breaker and Tire taker offer/puter oner...

Costs about forty bucks and the motorcycle attachment was about thirty...
                    I just looked at their website and it doesn't come up?
                    Maybe they discontinued it?
                    You can remove and replace a tire in about a minute by yourself.
                    It works like the kind in the shop except you provide the power with your arms.

Still have to balance by hand, but if your bike comes with wheel bearings and an axle you have all the equipment you need to balance.
                    I got my bike used without a toolkit, where's the best place to buy an axle and wheel bearings ???

Oh wait ...

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                      I had forgotten to add "CHEAP LIFE INSURANCE!" Glad somebody touched on that point. $160 Avons (good as they are) versus $195 Sport Demons and I'll gladly spend the slight $35 difference in cost for ANY edge in grip and performance.

Regards,
                      But is there a difference, and which is better in my application?
                      Sport Demons may be better if going all out in the twisties, while the Road riders may be better in my world, which is not quite that fast but making sparks with the pegs occasionally, and very likely to hit all kinds of things in the road, spots of water, sand, gravel, mud, snow, cowschit, maybe even some oil here and there?
                      Also having to brake fairly hard in fairly sharp corners due to deer, elk and the occasional moose...
                      How it feels turning in or shaving two tenths off my lap time is of no concern to me as long as it does what I expect it to every time.

On the two GS 750s that I tried them on the Road Riders were great when hitting these things, have not tried the Sport Demons...
                      I'll stick with what I know unless someone convinces me otherwise.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

try again ...

Bead breaker and Tire taker offer/puter oner...

Costs about forty bucks and the motorcycle attachment was about thirty...
                        I just looked at their website and it doesn't come up?
                        That one ?

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                          Yes with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            I think Brian rated the Avons about 99.5% against a pirelli 100% in the twisties... for me the chance that they will last at least 30% longer probably more & are a bit cheaper I can live without the .5%!!

Also it means I'm supporting the brits rather than the Italians...!
                            Yup, that's exactly it! Although the Pirellis are actually made in Brazil.

I am fat and fast, and thus BRUTAL on tires. It's really a crying shame the way I treat good rubber. So when I mention mileage figures, please realize you will likely fare much better.

On my GS850G, I got 4,200 miles out of my set of Sport Demons, and they handled beautifully from edge to edge and start to finish, in the wet, dry, hot and cold. They are truly superb tires. For track days or if you just want the absolute best, your quest ends here.

I got 6,400 miles out of my rear Avon RoadRider, and the front was in such good shape that I decided to do something I normally don't ever do -- I changed just the rear. After a thousand or so miles, everything seems to be holding up and handling quite well. Normally, you get some instability with a worn front and new rear, but there's not a hint of a problem.

If the Pirellis are at 100%, the Avon Roadriders are 99.5%, as noted above. They are also sticky, predictable, and precise wet or dry, hot or cold. The half percent is deducted because way out at the ragged edge, the front tire has just a hint less feel and feedback, probably because it's a universal front/rear design (which is probably why it lasts so long).

I order tires online and mount and balance them myself. The Avons are about $60 a set cheaper than the Pirellis.

Given the difference in price and longevity, and the distances I ride every year, I'm currently using Avon RoadRiders.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I guess I'm the only one here that was very unhappy with the Sport Demons.
                              I bought one set of them for my 1150 and spent more time going sideways with them spinning/sliding than I have with any tire outside of a Cheng Shen of 20 years ago. I would describe their rain capability as frightening, minimal traction and the bike would slide both wheels sideways on an easy 15 mph turn into a side street. Never again for me.

Earl
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                I guess I'm the only one here that was very unhappy with the Sport Demons.
                                I bought one set of them for my 1150 and spent more time going sideways with them spinning/sliding than I have with any tire outside of a Cheng Shen of 20 years ago. I would describe their rain capability as frightening, minimal traction and the bike would slide both wheels sideways on an easy 15 mph turn into a side street. Never again for me.

Earl
                                Did you over oil them?

Comment

Working...
                                X