Stripped oil drain plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped oil drain plug?

I bought my bike with a somewhat stripped oil drain plug. At this point it's stripped even worse and I can't get a decent seat at all... it constantly drips, even on a cold engine. Not good.

What's my best option? It's $75 + shipping for a brand new oil pan, which seems to be a fairly easy replacement... is there something else I'd be better off doing? I'd like to do it right so this doesn't happen again, even though I've never stripped one.

If anybody has a spare 83+GS(X)750/GS700 oil pan with good threads I'd like it...

I dont know if this is stock

But my 83 GS1100ED has a helicoil in the pan for the drain plug . I dont remember that on the GS750 so it might be a way to salvage the pan and make it stronger.

Pospalyr

Comment

Hi Mr. Junkie,

Slightly oversized drain plugs are easily found. Should be a simple fix.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Be careful it's not too long as it will bottom out (had this prob on my 1000G with a magnetic plug).

If you get one, let us know what one you went with & how it worked out...

Cheers,

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would do a new oil pan, but getting the pipes off can be a nightmare if an exhaust bolt breaks off. The oversize plugs are an option but remember there is not a lot of metal down there and it might not work.

Torque on the bolt is only 7lbs/ft so use a torque wrench when tightening. 7 is not very much at all.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I believe it already has an oversize plug, it certainly doesn't look like a stock one. I've changed the oil before on bikes with the plug into an aluminum case, and never had an issue before - as I said, it was stripped already when I got it.

As for getting the pipes off, it's an aftermarket header that I don't think has been on there for all that long - so I doubt it'll be too bad.

Comment

heliacoil is what i did as well.. worked great.

Comment

Dozens of options - this is what is recommended for Harleys. It would work on most bikes. It's just that it's on a chopper website -
                Choppers Cycle Parts OFFERS HARLEY PARTS & ACCESSORIES VINTAGE & ANTIQUE COLLECTIBLES

This one looks pretty good. It actually puts a new 'female' part into the sump (oil pan) so that you never need to worry again. Not sure if there would be enough room to do this on a bike but I have seen this done on race cars (as in these pics). ftp://70.226.52.38/installpdf/drainplug.pdf

Both of these are just two examples of dozens of different products. Most auto parts suppliers will be able to sell you numerous different styles of repair kits.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM. Reason: noticed mistake

Comment

I used an expanding rubber plug in an old Ford for years. As noted, there are dozens of options.

By the way, the stock threads (at least on a GS850 and the other shafties) are 14mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch, same as a spark plug. This is convenient because there are lots of options for repairing spark plug threads that will work for an oil pan.

If/when you remove the oil pan, any good machine shop should be able to install a more permanent fix.

I would avoid Helicoils, though. A Helicoil will eventually come out with the drain plug -- they should only be used on assemblies that are not disassembled, and even then only if that's all you can get (I'm not a big fan of these stupid things).

There are FAR better solid thread inserts available. I installed one when I built my GS850 engine last year, and it's quite nice to know there are permanent hardened steel threads in there now.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Get a Fram easy drain oil plug kit, I think they go as high as 14 mm which is too big, but you can have the pan drilled and tapped for it. To drain the oil just turn a 1/4 turn and that's it. They don't sell them in the standard size.

If I ever have to take the pan from mine I'm doing that, it's probably the only thing Fram makes I would use.

Comment

[If anybody has a spare 83+GS(X)750/GS700 oil pan with good threads I'd like it...[/quote]

I don't know if it will work but I have a used 81 oil pan with plug. I picked up at the junk yard after the first oil change on my GS750. The plug had been over torqued and the threads weren't in the best of shape. I cleaned out the threads and never had any problem with the drain plug so I never needed the oil pan.

If it will work I'll sent it to you for the postage.

Mike
                      PM me if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I used an expanding rubber plug in an old Ford for years. As noted, there are dozens of options.

By the way, the stock threads (at least on a GS850 and the other shafties) are 14mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch, same as a spark plug. This is convenient because there are lots of options for repairing spark plug threads that will work for an oil pan.

If/when you remove the oil pan, any good machine shop should be able to install a more permanent fix.

I would avoid Helicoils, though. A Helicoil will eventually come out with the drain plug -- they should only be used on assemblies that are not disassembled, and even then only if that's all you can get (I'm not a big fan of these stupid things).

There are FAR better solid thread inserts available. I installed one when I built my GS850 engine last year, and it's quite nice to know there are permanent hardened steel threads in there now.
                        I know about them coming out, and it sucks... happened on the cam cap on a race-prepped (37whp vs 27 stock, through stock intake/carbs/exhaust) EX250 engine I have, that was a PITA...

Comment

it appears to be a different part number, but thanks a ton for the offer

Comment

Well I ordered a used one online for $37 shipped, should be here pretty soon I think

of course, I ordered some stuff (including the oil pan gasket) from bikebandit and only now do they tell me it's backordered...

Comment

Buy a roll of gasket paper for 6 bucks and cut your own, it's easy and fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X