Wanted: Bad Igniters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1981gs1100e View Post
    Guy's, 90-95% of the problem with the GS igniters is the "coil driver" transistor---there is one for the 1&4 cylinders and one for the 2&3 cylinders.

Most of the time, when they short out, this cause's the box to

"let the black smoke out"
    The box will get VERY HOT to the touch---it will almost burn you if you touch it with the power on for minute or so.

The original transistor has a part # d997 on it.

There has been a number of different "replacements" for this number but most every number has been discontinued also. (2sd977 as one example)

I have located a replacement transistor, I can ship it to your door within the con. US for $12.00 if this helps anybody...This is my cost and I am just trying to help out others on there repairs to the old ignition.

Hope this helps

John

What kind of # did you come up with ???

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Stano View Post
      Excited To Hear Your Intentions To Fix Old Coils!!
      Andrew, the project has nothing to do with the coils, it is to fix the 'black box' that triggers the coils.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I know this is an old post, but is there any new information on this topic? I have an old igniter that could use an overhaul. Thanks I am willing to ship it to someone for repair.....

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
          I know this is an old post, but is there any new information on this topic? I have an old igniter that could use an overhaul. Thanks I am willing to ship it to someone for repair.....

Maybe this will help you http://www.mediafire.com/file/nymmenltzyi/Igniter document.pdf

Comment

Working...
          X