Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help......float Bowl Leaks

Dear GS family, GS750Guy here again.
    I recently rebuilt the carbs on my 78 GS750EC and very carefully removed and meticulously cleaned the gasket surfaces for the float bowls. I bought new gakets and to the advice of many and the manual I used nothing but the gasket to seal the bowls. Welllllllll guess what. After returning from my first ride last fall I noticed gasoline sitting in low spots on top of the crank case. With further investigation I noticed drips of fuel hanging from the bottoms of the bowls. My initial thought was that it was the tubes connecting each carb but further inspection showed they were all dry as a bone and the only wet fuel I found was from the top edge of the bowl where it fastened to the carb body on down.
    I'm tired of fighting gaskets and bowl leaks. Is there any liquid gasket sealer that I can use sparingly in conjunction with the gaskets that will seal the &*%^%$$##@#$% bowls and still be fuel resistant and not find its way into the fuel system???
    I appreciate all your wisdom on the matter.
    GS750Guy

You are on the wrong track regarding the source of your leaks, float bowl gaskets are to go on dry - you will NOT have a gasket leak this way unless the gasket surface is gouged out. Sounds like you have a leaking float needle or fuel T fitting. Check things more carefully and even consider checking the carbs while they are on the work bench - fashion a fuel feed source of some sort and watch like a hawk. Dollars to donuts the float bowl gaskets are fine.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have not had a bowl gasket leak. Maybe one was installed improperly? Is any gas running out the overflow tubes?

Greg O

Comment

If you used new gaskets and installed them properly check your float heights
        . Try not to use silicone on your float bowls as carb passages and silicone do not mix well. If you ever need something like that Detroit Diesel has a product called gasket eliminator ( I think permatex makes it ) I have used it adn had no problems as it only cures in the absence of air

Comment

It ain't your float bowl gaskets.

Gas is overflowing or leaking from elsewhere. The most common cause is a worn-out petcock combined with mung holding the float valve needles open.

For the love of all that's good and holy, PLEASE don't put any goop on your float bowl gaskets. Foreign substances do NOT belong anywhere NEAR your carbs.

Even the nastiest, grungiest, torn, flattened, 25 year old float bowl gasket will easily form an adequate seal.

Again, the problem is NOT your float bowl gaskets. Find the real source of the leak.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys!
            I checked the float level, checked the "T's", and I am not getting any fuel through the overflow tubes.
            I only see evedince of wet fuel from the gasket on down to the bottom of the bowl. There are no signs above the gasket. When I shine a bright light at the edge of the bowl I can see the exposed edge of the gasket. On three of the bowls I can see wet gasket material through the small space betweent the edge of the bowl and the bowl body and no signs of fuel higher than the level of the bowl gasket.
            It could be I may have nicked the small raised metal ridge that surrounds the gasket surface when I was cleaning off the old gasket material. It probably would not take much of a nick in the metal surface to create a leak.
            The leaks are not horribly bad just enough to cause an ocassional drip. But any leak is too much. Do you suppose in time when the gasket seats well that the leak would stop?
            In the event I have created the leak by nicking metal it would seem my only alternative would be to use some kind of sealant. Surely I would think there must be some GS'rs out there that have found a successful method of sealing the kind of leak where the surface has been compromised.

GS750GUY

Comment

You probably will need to remove the carbs and rebuild them again.
              Inspect the body for hairline cracks, bowl gaskets, o-rings, needle
              valves and seal it tight with the recommended torque. Adjust the
              float so that gas is cut off completely at float level at the inlet
              needle valve(s). I use a 10mm hose hooked-up to the carb inlet
              nipple. I blow air into it, and then I move the floats up and down
              to see if it cuts off. If it is not level, I bend the tang so that it is
              correct.

As the carbs are off the bike, I'll even use water to test the floats
              in the carbs once they are rebuilt, then blow out the water residue
              with compressed air, wipe it clean, or chase it out with gas. Not a
              big deal using water as some might be alarmed of this. It is only
              going through the needle valves and onto the bowls, and not being
              sucked and drawn-in by vacuum. I don't recommend using water in
              place of gas in the tank for T/S purposes, as it will start to rust immediately. But the carbs is OK. The carb body is somehow
              impervious to rust.

One time, I used water in the tank to troubleshoot my GS1150
              gas tank float level circuit. I don't like working around gas as it has
              high vapor pressure seeking an ignition source...and especially when
              gas is $4/gal. I'd rather be safe than dead !! Rust started to form even
              though the water was chased out with gas. I'll probaly use a rust
              inhibitor to mix with the water the next time I work on this gas tank
              float sensor issue.

Good luck to you :-D

Make sure each carb bowl drain plug is tight with a new 0-ring or
              washer gasket. Don't use a sealer, as new bowl gaskets should
              seal well and be sufficient enough.

Comment

Any gas leak, either a small drip to a siv, is no good and is outright dangerous. Could cause a fire and there goes your machine. And at
                $4/gal, you want to conserve every drop.

\\/

Comment

As silly as this sounds, did you tighten up the floatbowl screws fully? Hate to admit this but on my 550E the screws were loose which caused a leak from the floatbowl. Snug the screws down pretty firmly - you need some gasket compression.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The only time you will see leaks from the overflow tubes is if the floats are stuck open and the leaks at the bowl gasket are slow enough to let the fuel level climb.

Because your overflow tubes seem to be dry, it is possible that the float level is seriously off, or one of them is stuck. When things are all set properly, the fuel level is below the bowl gasket about 5 mm, so the only time the gasket might get wet is when accellerating or decellerating hard enough to slosh the fuel around in the bowls.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I always wet my bowl gaskets with WD-40 before installing. I feel like that makes 'em a bit more malleable. I've never had a leak from the float gaskets, but I have had a darn annoying leak from the between-tubes.

It's very frustrating when that happens after taking years off your life with the struggle to re-seat the carbs in the airbox boots...

Comment

You can get decent petrol resistant gasket sealer - blue stuff I've got in the garage is fine but I can't remember what it's called. However, the name is irrelevant here as you can't use sealant on your float bowls. The reason: if you have a look at the gap between the side of the bowls and the floats you'll see that it's next to nothing - even some aftermarket gaskets need trimming to fit. If you put sealant in there thick enough to cover, the chances are that you would squeeze some sideways and interfere with the free movement of the float.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The carb bowl gaskets were not meant to have sealent whatsoever.
                          The gasket is sufficient enough to provide a good seal if all 4 screws
                          are tightened in-place and both the mating surfaces are clean and flat.

The spongy characteristics of the gasket will absorb a tight seal
                          shielding the outside elements.

:-D

Comment

My question is DID you use OEM gaskets ? some of the Ebay gaskets are thinner than stock, could cause problem ???

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              As silly as this sounds, did you tighten up the floatbowl screws fully? Hate to admit this but on my 550E the screws were loose which caused a leak from the floatbowl. Snug the screws down pretty firmly - you need some gasket compression.
                              This was my first thought. Get your screwdriver out and (carefully) apply a little extra pressure to the screws. If you have 'nicked' the surface of either the bowl or the carb body the gasket should be more than enough to make up for it. The gasket is, after all, there to make up the difference between the two surfaces.

I agree with the majority here that sealants near the carbs is a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X