Small oil leak from GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
    Yes sorry the generator cover sorry. I am not sure what you are describing though. With mine it appears the oil is seeping straight from the screw hole closest to the bottom (nearest to the road). There isn't any other oil trace than the drips between the screw head and the case cover.

Cory
    Maybe the cover is cracked. There shouldn't be oil going by a screw, especially if there is no evidence that some seal used to exist there. The only sealed screw on my 850 (that I know of) is on the petcock mounting screws. These have special washers with a rubber element to seal the screw. Hopefully the threads in the crankcase aren't cracked.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Are you 110% SURE all the bolts are the right lengths?

If one or two are too long, they might bottom out before tightening properly. This could also happen if there's gunk in the bolt hole, or the remains of a broken bolt.

Might be a crack in the stator cover, too.

Take it off and look. Takes less time than typing all these questions. :-D

And if you want anything other than random speculation, post some photos of your leak and where you think it's coming from.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Maybe the cover is cracked. There shouldn't be oil going by a screw, especially if there is no evidence that some seal used to exist there. The only sealed screw on my 850 (that I know of) is on the petcock mounting screws. These have special washers with a rubber element to seal the screw. Hopefully the threads in the crankcase aren't cracked.
        I agree, you're probably (hopefully) not leaking from a bolt hole - just looks that way because the oil flows down, collects at the low point, then seeps into small cracks (even uphill!) due to capillary action. Sounds scientific, huh?

I had occasional leaks from the crankshaft oil seal behind my ignition, and it originally presented the exact same way - dripped out the drain hole behind the bolt but looked like a leaky bolt.

Have you looked over Basscliff's stator replacement pictorial? (PDF Link) There's some great pics and mention of a little rubber grommet thingie - maybe that'll give you some ideas about your cover.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
          Sounds like a new gasket is needed.

Ditto the gasket is probably torn.

Comment

Oil Leak

I have the same Bike, and replaced all my cover gaskets, Did you use any gasket adhesive, Also as you and every one else Knows, the metal is soft.could the case be dented or gouged, At that spot. since you hade the leak before gasket change, I dont think you tore gasket. I could be wrong. But either way its got to come off. Let us know what you find. SAN.

Comment

The reason I am writing to find out ideas is because I am on vacation and away from the bike right now. I just wanted to get some ideas as to what to check when I got home. I will check these and report back afterwards.

Thanks,

Cory

Comment

An update on my oil leak. I put the bike on it's center stand and it appears the oil drops are coming from the oil pan, or plug, more than likely the pan though. It is very oily and dirty under there. Would this mean I need a new gasket there? Also where do I find one? I looked at bikebandit but couldn't find a part. I will clean down there tomorrow and hopefully be able to update more. At first I thought it was coming from the bottom cover screw, but I think it appeared to be leaking from there because the bike was on the regular kick stand and slanted in that direction. I tool the starter cover off and couldn't find a hole for oil to leak from, nor was there any oil or oily residue in there. Also took the clutch cover off (the smaller one) and there didn't seem to be any oil in there as well.

Cory

Comment

An update on my oil leak. I put the bike on it's center stand and it appears the oil drops are coming from the oil pan, or plug, more than likely the pan though. It is very oily and dirty under there. Would this mean I need a new gasket there? Also where do I find one? I looked at bikebandit but couldn't find a part. I will clean down there tomorrow and hopefully be able to update more. At first I thought it was coming from the bottom cover screw, but I think it appeared to be leaking from there because the bike was on the regular kick stand and slanted in that direction. I tool the starter cover off and couldn't find a hole for oil to leak from, nor was there any oil or oily residue in there. Also took the clutch cover off (the smaller one) and there didn't seem to be any oil in there as well.

Cory
                  I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the bike yet - at least, don't buy any parts until you clean the engine really well. Just about every drop of oil from anywhere on the engine ends up there eventually. Except the ones rescued by the cuffs of your pants. My $.02.

Comment

I think the dirty part of the engine, ie the oil pan is where the leak is. The rest of the engine is clean and fine. That is why I am worried about the pan, it is the only oily and dirty area on the bike and seems the oil is coming from there.

Cory

Comment

I think the dirty part of the engine, ie the oil pan is where the leak is. The rest of the engine is clean and fine. That is why I am worried about the pan, it is the only oily and dirty area on the bike and seems the oil is coming from there.

Cory
                      All I'm saying is that fresh oil's hard to see until it gets dirty or collects somewhere and it'll always collect down there. I was amazed how clear fresh oil was against that slightly oxidized aluminum.

You could be right about the oil pan. I just never find my oil leaks until after I clean all the gunk off, dust the suspicious areas of the engine (talc or my favorite, foot powder spray) and run it while watching for the trail/drip.

It's a zen-like experience. Grab a work light, pop some popcorn, sit (or lay) on the floor, settle in, and watch your gunk-free bike idle. The leak will find you.

Comment

Roostabunny,
                        that is exactly what I plan on doing. The suck of it is though it doesn't leak while it is running, only when it cools down and sits a few hours or so. Hopefully I will find something after I clean it up. I am thinking about spraying some simple green all over and using the local car wash power wand to get some of that gunk off. Then I will powder some suspicious areas and see what I can find.

Cory

Comment

Thought I'd bump this and see if you found the leak - sorry if I missed answer in some other thread.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X