Starter solenoid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solenoid question

I rebuilt a 1979 GS850G last year and got it on the road this year. But I got the bike with a dead starter solenoid. I can kickstart the bike, but I would like to have the push button start working. Can I use a automotive solenoid and if so, off what vehicle. I don't want to spend close to 60 bills on a new one. And I don't like buying used electrics. Anybody have any ideas?

Check the ground on your solenoid first. They usually ground at the batery box. I would move it to a frame or engine bolt and try it.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

A solenoid for a garden tractor is about $11 just about anywhere. It's a bit smaller than most automotive solenoids, so it fits better in a motorcycle.

We promise not to make lawn mowing jokes... lots of older bikes are running around with these solenoids.

There's a Ford solenoid that's been reported to be a good substitute, too, but you'd need to find an old, wizened auto parts guy who can find the right one without a computer.

Solenoids all work the same, so you just need to find one that's cheap and fits in the space available.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ford used that same solenoid forever. It's a little bulky but would work alright. Any Ford from 1960 to at least the mid '80s and probably beyond use that same solenoid. It was actually nice they put the solenoid on the fender well instead of incorporating it into the starter. Sure made changing them easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          Ford used that same solenoid forever. It's a little bulky but would work alright. Any Ford from 1960 to at least the mid '80s and probably beyond use that same solenoid. It was actually nice they put the solenoid on the fender well instead of incorporating it into the starter. Sure made changing them easy.
          Good info! \\/

Of course, the hard part is convincing the average 17 year old parts monkey to sell you one. Good luck with that...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The starter solenoid on my 87 Mustang is roughly the same size as the one on my bikes.

Just had to replace the one on my car. Let me tell you, when a starter solenoid gets stuck and your car continually turns over until you are able to disconnect the battery lead to make it stop, its unnerving - especially on your pampered 87 ascMclaren Mustang.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try regrounding it first.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan View Post
                The starter solenoid on my 87 Mustang is roughly the same size as the one on my bikes.

Just had to replace the one on my car. Let me tell you, when a starter solenoid gets stuck and your car continually turns over until you are able to disconnect the battery lead to make it stop, its unnerving - especially on your pampered 87 ascMclaren Mustang.
                I had that happen to an old '67 Holden (Aussie version of Chev) until it caught fire. I tried to unhook the battery but the leads got too hot and the wiring caught fire. That was VERY unnerving. :shock:

Comment

The other thing that you can do is pull the solenoid apart (if you are mechanically apt) and rebuild it. They are so simple it's scary. It's usually the brass contacts that burn out and cause 'sticking'. If you pull out the contacts and go to an auto electrician (auto elec mechanic) they should have the bits you need.

Comment

Working...
                  X