Sorry not a GS but 83 honda magna 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry not a GS but 83 honda magna 750

My father has a magna 750 with a hydrolyic clutch. We refilled the resevior and bleed it but still no pressure. It's getting fluid in to the clutch but still no pressure. Any ideas?

Did it work before you bled it?
    If it did, you've got air in the system
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

didn't work before. The PO said it stopped workin, he put it up for sale and baught a new bike.

Comment

what i've always done when bleeding clutches and brakes is let the pedal/paddle snap back forcefully when bleeding, it tends to work air bubbles out. works great for brakes and car clutches, i'm not sure about a bike clutch, but i don't know why it wouldn't.

i'd also check to make sure nothing is seized and/or leaking.

and check the bleeder and make sure it is totally closed. i've done that one

Comment

Never worked on honda, but if like other hydraulic clutches, you will need to bleed all air of line. Just like brakes, the air will rise to highest point which is near master cylinder. I have had good success bleeding by cracking open banjo bolt that connects hoses to master cylinder while depressing lever. Do this several times and then go about pushing fluid through lines. One other trick is to use a long nylon tube on bleed screw that will reach to master cylinder in a loop. Then you can leave screw open and pump lever till arm falls off. Check to see if the actuator for the clutch moves when clutch is depressed. Good luck.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, fluid is getting to the slave cylinder, but not activating the clutch? Are you sure the master cylinder is working? You should see fluid come out of the bleed valve at the slave with each pull of the lever. If so, then maybe the slave cylinder is frozen?

I don't know much about what's in the master cylinder, but I did pull the slave off of my '83 honda nighthawk because of a leaky oil seal and it looked pretty simple. You might pull yours and check the cylinder to make sure it moves. DON'T press the lever with the slave off the bike, but it's ok to press in on the cylinder with your fingers to make sure it's free.

Comment

Did You use a Mighty Vac.? What I learned when Brian Wringer helped Me change the Slave on the GSX1100 is that bleeding the clutch lines is near impossible without mechanical help.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will check the slave tomorrow and prolly order the mighty pump soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pinner View Post
                  Any ideas?
                  It's broken.

Comment

I also might point out that the slave cylinder is the low point in the system, and thus collects all the moisture, mung, and little green men that sprout in elderly hydraulics of any type.

It might be well worth simply replacing the slave cylinder. That's what we did on Scotts GSX1100G, and it was a 1993 model with very few miles on it.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Adding a speed bleeder nipple wouldn't hurt either if you can.
                      2010 Honda VFR1200F
                      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                      Being Revisited
                      1981 Honda CM400T
                      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Another vote for the vacuum pump.

Comment

Working...
                        X