Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter acting like no power when engine is warm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter acting like no power when engine is warm???

Ok so when I first go out and fire up my bike for the day (gs850g) the starter works like it should, but after coming home from a 1/2 hour ride or something and the bike is warm (speeds of 55-60ish in 5th, so I'm clearly not pushing the bike hard and overheating it) if I was to try to start the bike right back up after shutting it off, it will act like there is no power from the battery. It just turns the engine over really slowly.

I did check the battery and it is 12.5v or so on the battery with the bike off and 13.8 with the bike at 3500rpms. So I ruled out the R/R and stator issues because it is charging correctly.

Anyone have an ideas?

I have never seen this on a bike, but had a friend with a toyota that did it, actually not slow turning, but refusal to turn at all until the car cooled down. It WAS related to the starter being hot.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Could be brushes/commutator too.

These engines don't get too hot from riding hard, but from sitting at lights, etc.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Classic symptoms of worn brushes and / or dirty commutator.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thanks guys! I have rebuilt Honda 3-wheeler starters before, but are these rebuildable or should I just replace it??

Comment

the starter that is...

Comment

These are real easy to rebuild.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Starter parts!
                  Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

Lots of happy customers here.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

ok so i called stockers.com and talked to the guy there and he said it's $50 for a rebuild kit and I just need to make sure I tell him the right model of the starter and he'll ship it right out.

I'll have to post once I get it all fixed up. It isn't that the starter is really broken or going to screw me over right now.. it's more of an annoyance for now. I would hate to stop at a light and be a moron and stall it and not have it fire back up for me! lol

Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Try this:

Take the cover off the starter leave it at home. Bring something like a ratchet or small hammer with you.
                      When it doesn't start, hold the starter button down and give it a whack on the starter.
                      Hopefully it will leap into action and start the engine.

Had to start an airplane engine that way for a few days.
                      Some jobs just suck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Try this:

Take the cover off the starter leave it at home. Bring something like a ratchet or small hammer with you.
                        When it doesn't start, hold the starter button down and give it a whack on the starter.
                        Hopefully it will leap into action and start the engine.

Had to start an airplane engine that way for a few days.
                        Some jobs just suck.

It's not like when a starter refuses to work in a car and just won't turn the engine over. This does more than just clicks. It will actually turn the engine over, just REALLY slowly like my battery is almost dead or something. I'm pretty sure that hitting it won't do anything more than scuff the case.

Comment

Working...
                        X