Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know how fast or how far you are going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Misterj1953 View Post
    Motorcycle speedometers are like politicians, they only lie when they are working.
    So...just when have you seen a politician working? :shock:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Doing the size conversion, Most of the bigger GS used a 100/90/19 for the front, not a 90/90/19 Unless you have a twin. Switching to a 110/90/19 improves the speedo accuracy
      Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Mechanical speedometers are prone to having errors that differ at different speeds. Adding one of those bicycle speedometers/computers should mostly fix that problem, because it works by timing and counting wheel revolutions. It can be adjusted to work with the actual wheel diameter, within a small fraction of a percent. If the air pressure changes greatly, tire diameter will change slightly, reducing its accuracy. If tire pressure is very low, tire squirm would probably make a larger difference. The bicycle speedometer (at least the Sigmas) will also read to any speed that our GSes will reach, overcoming the 85 MPH limitation. It will also show max speed and average speed, and add two more odometers.

Darn, I ought to put one on!
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Speedometer? what are those? I only go three different speeds: slower than traffic around me, same as traffic around me, and faster than traffic. Usually I'm doing the later of the three unless traffic doesn't permit :-D

Comment

'81 GS650G with stock tires: both the speedometer and odometer read 10% high. '04 SV650S: speedo is 7% high, odo is exactly correct. Apparently Suzuki became more sophisticated in it's silly efforts to protect us from ourselves.

Comment

I'm not sure about older motorcycles.
              However, newer motorcycles do in fact have built in error in the speedo. I don't fully understand why.
              However, the ZZR's are well known to have about 10% error. Mine is just about exactly that. At 65MPh, the GPS shows 59MPH.
              Many Police Speed guns that I have passed show the same results.
              My friend on a 2005 Busa, rode with me to a ZZR rally in Georgia. I had a hand held GPS and his Busa is also right at 10% off.

My GS though, I don't recall that being off much at all.

Comment

Speedos are deliberately built overly optimistic, likely due to a tangled knot of liability issues. The usual 5% - 10% error you see on new bikes is just ridiculous, IMHO, but some nervous Nelly lawyer somewhere thinks it has to be that way. At least on newer bikes with electronics, you can usually buy a little widget to plug in to correct this.

On a bike that's 25 - 30 years old, isn't it enough of a miracle that it's moving? Ancient mechanical devices like GS speedometers and tachometers are only haphazardly accurate. Each one is slightly different and special in its own way, like a snowflake.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Speedos are deliberately built overly optimistic, likely due to a tangled knot of liability issues. The usual 5% - 10% error you see on new bikes is just ridiculous, IMHO, but some nervous Nelly lawyer somewhere thinks it has to be that way. At least on newer bikes with electronics, you can usually buy a little widget to plug in to correct this.

On a bike that's 25 - 30 years old, isn't it enough of a miracle that it's moving? Ancient mechanical devices like GS speedometers and tachometers are only haphazardly accurate. Each one is slightly different and special in its own way, like a snowflake.
                  Now..now, I expect my bike to do more than just move. Maybe I shouldn't push my "snowflake" to 100mph, but I was just curious how far off the GS speedos were back then.
                  There are 2 things I NEED to find out. Locate a speed trap sign that flashes your speed and go through it 10-20 times to get numbers for my speedo variance. The other was to get weighed in at the local recycling plant to clear up the discrepancies in weight specs from manuals, internet sites and original brochures. The stupid things I waste my time on.........I'll report back to the forum as long as I don't get arrested or crushed for scrap in the process!:shock:

Comment

Working...
                  X