Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping gears 82 1100e

If I wanted to change out the gears in an 82 1100E, which would be fastest:
    Swap the whole tranny, or just the gears?

What is involved in the gear swap out?

Background: the gears are in bad shape, and it pops out of gear a lot. I can find a replacement transmission... wondering which is the easiest path here.

This is one of those "if you have to ask, you probably don't want to know..." type of questions...

Basically, you have to remove the engine and remove the bottom half of the crankcase. I think you might be able to accomplish this without removing the top end, but someone who actually knows will be along shortly to clear that up.

Once the bottom half is off, you have access to the transmission shafts and gearchange mechanism, all of which should be carefully checked by experts. If you're going to all this trouble, you'll need to know for a fact that the parts you're putting in are better than what you're removing. You might even invest in having the gear dogs undercut. Again, someone should be along shortly with specific advice.

I'd put in new shift forks as well. Is there a stronger aftermarket replacement for these?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You may want to post this question in the "performance mods" section.

All the engine-building dragracers seem to hang out there. I'm sure several of them would know exactly what this job would entail.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Your dogs are rounded off. You can get to the tranny by just splitting the bottom case. You can take a chance on Ebay tranny or get gears. It's a crapshoot the Ebay way.
        If you have a manual it shows you how to install new gears.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X