No announcement yet.

Engine Paint In Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the general public opinion on using Gun-Kote?

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
      What the general public opinion on using Gun-Kote?
      Best stuff available I think.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
        Yep - Duplicolor DE1615 Engine Enamel - flows nice, doesn't discolor and matches the original color very well.

The colour on this block looks very good and seems pretty close to OEM compared to some of the other aluminium engine colours I've seen. Iam also planning to repaint my 1100 engine and have narrowed the field down to this Duplicolor DE1615 and the POR-15 Aluminium Engine Enamel. This thread has been a great help so thanks to all for your contributions and thanks to Suzuki Don for kicking it off, cheers.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I used POR-15 engine paint on my 1000S rebuild project and now the silver is turning yellowish after only a short time. I can't recommend it although it does have killer durability against scratching and chemicals.
          I second this as I have the same issue with POR-15 Clear Coat.

I'm concerned not only with good looks just after the first paint aplication but with a long lasting appearance and resistance to repeated washing off the dirt from wet roads.

Sharpy seems to be the only person who reported a good lasting apperance (on a gs engine) after several years with the paint he used. Although ,he lives in a dry climate and has no need for frequent washing the bike/engine.
          Last edited by psyguy; 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM.
          GS850GT

Comment

I used the VHT Aluminum on a valve cover. Color looks good. Too soon to say much about durability yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

Just done exactly the same on my S (only I soda blasted and scrubbed instead of dipping). Looks like the same colour as well - not the silver original finish but VHT Engine Enamel Aluminium by Simoniz (I thought the silver was 'too silver' if you know what I mean).

I'll let you know in 8 year's time if it's stood the English climate as well as Sharpy's has the Australian!

any news hampshirehog?
              GS850GT

Comment

Hi psyguy, thanks for your tip about the yellow issue with POR-15. Shame about that as its one of the products that seems a close match to OEM finish. The VHT on Sharpys 1000S is just a shade bright however, he has had that VHT on there for eight years and it looks fine to me for durability! The Dupicolor Pontiacstogo used looks closer to OEM (still a shade bright though) but does it have the durability that Sharpy has got out of the VHT? Maybe someone here has had the Dupicolor on their engine for a while and can provide some durability and colour perforance help? So now its between the VHT and Dupicolor for the block unless there is another product to emerge from the pack, cheers.
                Shin-Ken 1074
                1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I am thinking about painting the engine on the GS750 I just picked up. I was going to go with black but I am a little bit worried about how the paint will hold up around bolts or anywhere you would be tightening a bolt or screw. To the posters in the thread who have done this: How is your paint holding up around say your valve cover bolts and other places where you have removed/replaced the fasteners after the paint job?

Comment

Pretty sure there is high temp powder coat, which is the route I think I am gonna go on my E for a black engine.

Comment

For regular access points like oil filter, tappet cover, front sprocket case etc Iam going to buy OEM nuts and bolts to aviod the problem of colour product build up on the heads that can be a fit issue for sockets and spanners. This should also limit the damage to the finish of the nuts and bolts, cheers.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by VTwinSuzuki View Post
                        I am thinking about painting the engine on the GS750 I just picked up. I was going to go with black but I am a little bit worried about how the paint will hold up around bolts or anywhere you would be tightening a bolt or screw. To the posters in the thread who have done this: How is your paint holding up around say your valve cover bolts and other places where you have removed/replaced the fasteners after the paint job?
                        I usually paint engines with as many of the covers removed as I can and try to avoid laying it on too thick. As long as the surface is prepared well, the finish isn't too thick, and it has time to dry, bolts shouldn't disturb or 'roll up' the paint when you reinstall them. A set of stainless allen bolts from Z1 (or others) always adds a nice finishing touch, particularly on a black engine.

Comment

Originally posted by VTwinSuzuki View Post
                          How about using thin nylon washers where possible to help prevent marring the paint?

Comment

Working...
                          X