How to remove float pins ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove float pins ??

Help, the float pins on my carbs are pushed all the way in - I think it's the original setup. Tried to grab the heads with snips but there's really nothing to grab. I'm afraid to tap them out, i've had some bad experiences with that!!

I have them soaking in PB blaster at the moment, waiting for me to think up something clever...

I know this has been kicked about before, but i need a sure fire way to pull these out without breaking off the float posts. What are some of the techniques and/or tricks you guys have out there to do this safely??

All ideas & opinions welcome!!

Thanks,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Yes, soak them in PB Blaster and then (if you have a vice) open the jaws of the vice about 1/8" and lightly tap the pin (from the left hand float support tab) using the vice as a "die" for the pin.

If no vice is available...use the smallest socket that you have or a couple pieces of flat iron or what ever will work (not wood) and again place the right hand float support tab over the space "die" that you've created to support the tab...then tap the pin lightly.

Sounds harder than it is.......hard to explain. :?

OH...make sure to use a punch (very small, smaller than the pin) to tap the pin out!
    Last edited by Dave8338; 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM. Reason: forgot

Comment

I just use the corner of my workbench to support the post. The vice is a good idea though.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So if I read this right, I only need to support the post the pin is pressed in to? That would be the post opposite the one the "pin head" is against?

I'm extremely paranoid because i've broken one of these before & replacing that broken carb body was a GIANT hassle.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          I'm extremely paranoid because i've broken one of these before & replacing that broken carb body was a GIANT hassle.
          No need to replace the body, you can repair it.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Another quick question while we're on the topic of removing stuck carb parts.

When i tapped (read hammered) out the jet needle sleeves I gouged the ID a little (about .200" long), at the end opposite to the main jet threads on one of them. I'm planning to clean it up with a small file and/or emery paper to smooth it out, and to make sure the needle jet slides in & out freely.

My question is: Do I need to replace this thing (about $15 ea)? It looks to me that the "business end" of the sleeve is the jet end, and I don't think the "slide" end means squat.

What do ya think?
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I have always used an automatic center punch & have NEVER broken a post that way. They pop right out too! Ray.

Comment

Clean it up and put it back in.

Comment

Me too

Another quick question while we're on the topic of removing stuck carb parts.

When i tapped (read hammered) out the jet needle sleeves I gouged the ID a little (about .200" long), at the end opposite to the main jet threads on one of them. I'm planning to clean it up with a small file and/or emery paper to smooth it out, and to make sure the needle jet slides in & out freely.

My question is: Do I need to replace this thing (about $15 ea)? It looks to me that the "business end" of the sleeve is the jet end, and I don't think the "slide" end means squat.

What do ya think?
                  I did exactly the same thing when I rebuilt my 750 carbs for the first time. I took mine to a machine shop and a guy re-tapped it by hand. It took about 15 seconds and he didn't charge me anything. Ive rebuilt them several times since then and they are as good as new. By the way, that's one of the few carb parts that is no longer available from Suzuki....at least it's not available for either of my bikes.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I have always used an automatic center punch & have NEVER broken a post that way. They pop right out too! Ray.
                    What is an "automatic center punch?"
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

The interference fit of the pin is on the end WITH the nail head - pins flares just under the head.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What is an "automatic center punch?"
                        It's a thing you want that punches a tiny hole in something to provide a center to start a drill, or just mark a point (or break a window to escape a sinking car...). The automatic type doesn't require a hammer. You push it against the item to be marked, and the spring-loaded mechanism inside automatically delivers the hammer blow for you. Harbor Freight has a couple types for dirt cheap.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          The interference fit of the pin is on the end WITH the nail head - pins flares just under the head.
                          OK, so THAT'S the post (with nail head) I have to support while I tap the pin out from the other side?

Can you tell I'm paranoid 8-[ ??
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            It's a thing you want that punches a tiny hole in something to provide a center to start a drill, or just mark a point (or break a window to escape a sinking car...). The automatic type doesn't require a hammer. You push it against the item to be marked, and the spring-loaded mechanism inside automatically delivers the hammer blow for you. Harbor Freight has a couple types for dirt cheap.
                            Thanks Dogma - I could get one & use it against my temple if i screw up this carb body!!
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Almost a duplicate thread.

I did this last night. I had the best luck pressing it out with a set of vise grips.

Comment

Working...
                              X