oil filter studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
    ... and don't ever seem to lose a drop of oil.
    I find every one

Originally posted by vpminneci View Post
    Can you please provide the dimensions for the stud. I know it's 6 mm, but what length? I've heard 20 mm on this board, but the Suzuki dealer said 1 1/4" (31.75 mm). What about thread pitch? I was able to get a standard nut on the stripped thread to tighten it enough to keep riding, but I want to fix it properly at the next oil change. Thanks!!
    You can remove one of your good ones for comparison, bring it along to the above mentioned decent hardware store, OR just go order some at the dealer...they'll be in well in time for your next change!

Comment

Never been sure which models have the studs. Mine has bolts (which are now SS allen head)

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
        I find every one

You can remove one of your good ones for comparison, bring it along to the above mentioned decent hardware store, OR just go order some at the dealer...they'll be in well in time for your next change!
        The problem with that suggestion is I would have to down the bike to make the repair... and there aren't enough nice days in Illinois to waste even 1. My plan is to replace the studs at the next oil change, but I want to have the parts on hand just in case the filter cover starts leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by vpminneci View Post
          The problem with that suggestion is I would have to down the bike to make the repair... and there aren't enough nice days in Illinois to waste even 1....l
          I understand that and I'm with you (my bike is down now!) which is why I said:
          Originally posted by me
          ...OR just go order some at the dealer...they'll be in well in time for your next change!

They have the part numbers. They do not need a sample stud to order one, or several. You could probably even call it in with a CC# to save you a trip!

Comment

how much torque when installing Stud Bolts?

How stiff should it be screwing the stud bolts in? I have tried them using just fingers and it doesn't go in very far when the bolt gets very tight.
            Any ideas I really donlt want to end up cross threaded or stripping the hole.

Also a question was asked about a screw on filter for these bikes. I'm gonna guess that no one has built such a contraption.

Comment

The studs should screw it til the unthreaded portion of the stud is about even with the crankcase block. (Using the factory studs). Make sure you are screwing in the correct side of the stud as 1 side is a little longer I believe.

Comment

Houston, I have a problem. I am (apparently) incredibly stupid. I cranked on one of the domed (damned?) nuts and now I can't get the nut off. Any ideas? Most threads I've seen talk about changing the stud, but not about how to get stripped nuts off.

Comment

Working...
                X