• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get an 1100
    Like this?

A GSXR 1100 in an 83 550 frame.

Comment

Will Katana wheels work with stock front suspension and swinger?

Comment

They should, I got a front one into a 79550 using the 79 axle and spacers.
        On my 83 I did not try it since I had bought the complete frontend.

What you may need to look at on the front.
        Use the speedo drive that goes with the new wheel.
        Start with the axle and spacers from your bike.
        The question will be in the spacing of the discs.

Rear,
        I swapped engines so my chainline is wider.
        Beyond that, hopefully someone else can answer for you since I have not gone there yet. I myself do not have the right mix of parts yet and the rear rims I have here are 3.5" wide, not worth the effort.

Comment

You'll have massive problems with disc alignment. Which, in my mind, is a bigger part of the point of swapping the whole suspension out. I dunno why you'd want the Kat wheels without the upgraded forks. Seems pretty counterproductive to me. The wheels arent THAT much wider, but the suspension is THAT much better. You're not going to get any more "stick" out of the Kat wheels than over stock if you've got sloppy suspension bits holding them. Just my .02

Comment

Let me barge in onto this thread for a moment.................
            I have a 1983 GS 750 parts bike if anyone is interested in the rear suspension/linkage and swingarm. Still on the bike and available.
            I apologize for the disruption. Carry on with this discussion.

Comment

That is a very worthy disruption.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
                Let me barge in onto this thread for a moment.................
                I have a 1983 GS 750 parts bike if anyone is interested in the rear suspension/linkage and swingarm. Still on the bike and available.
                I apologize for the disruption. Carry on with this discussion.

Yes I am interested. Any other parts too? Send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  You'll have massive problems with disc alignment. Which, in my mind, is a bigger part of the point of swapping the whole suspension out. I dunno why you'd want the Kat wheels without the upgraded forks. Seems pretty counterproductive to me. The wheels arent THAT much wider, but the suspension is THAT much better. You're not going to get any more "stick" out of the Kat wheels than over stock if you've got sloppy suspension bits holding them. Just my .02
                  I agree but if I am purchasing parts alittle at a time I could add the wheels and then the fork set up later. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                    I have a GSXR shock in my '85 GS550ES. You use the linkage that you already have. Big improvement. The bike will sit an inch taller as well. I had just enough clearance to keep my centerstand, but skreemer didn't on his '83 GS550E.

4 into 1s show up on ebay every month or so and that's about all I've seen.
                    what year is the gsxr shock you have on your bike?I have a 1983 550 ed that I need to upgrade and am looking for something that gonna give me better suspension in the twisties,

Comment

Working...
                    X