Starter or Starter Relay Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter or Starter Relay Problem

My bike wouldnt start altough i have light and everything so i changed the starter relay by using one of a GS850 (on my GS1100 4v motor) Still nothing... Could be the starter? How can i find out if this is the problem before i buy a new one?

Bike doesnt make any sounds pretty much dead other than running lights, horn etc.....

When i connect the two terminals on the starter relay sparks fly but no starter sound..

Comment

By pass the solenoid and apply 12 volts directly to the starter and see if it spins.

Comment

Originally posted by Astroman View Post
        When i connect the two terminals on the starter relay sparks fly but no starter sound..
        If the relay is bad you should still be able to jump across it and spin the starter. I have a used starter in the one, (1981 GS1100) I am parting out.

Comment

The starter needs cleaned, rebuilt or replaced if you are bridging the solenoid posts and getting nothing.
          When hitting the starter button you should be at least hearing the solenoid click. If not check the clutch interlock switch kill switch, connections to relay and ignition.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Could be the starter clutch too!

Comment

Got battery?

Also, is the ground cable hooked up firmly to the engine?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Got battery?

Also, is the ground cable hooked up firmly to the engine?

Yes battery is new i have strong lights. signals and everything...

The problem is somewehere between the battery and the starter...

How can i find if it's the starter clutch? Wouldnt the starter spins even with bad starter clutch...

Here is how everything started....

Me and a friend did a top end rebuild... Bike was starting and running before we take it apart..

After the rebuild we turn the key on and nothing happened... He did checked everything and found out that one of the wires that run from the ignition to the fuse box was cut somewhere inside the harness... so we did a small test with an external wire from the fuse box to the ignition and we got lights etc... He jumped the ignition Relay and we did hear the starter to try to start the bike .. then the second time sparks started flying... so did the 3 and 4 th time and then we thought might be the starter relay. I got a new starter relay but after i hooked up nothing happens... same like before sparks flying when i jump it...

What can it be? ****es me off that now that we put the motor togehter im not be able to start it and start riding the bike

Comment

Pretty much a bad ground ANYWHERE on the bike can cause this from my experience. Also, if your batt terms are corroded, or have a poor connection. You say you guys were having issues with a chopped fuse block or something? I would also start looking around there. A manual with a wiring diagram will be your best friend here.

Comment

Ok more to the story (excuse my English, is my Second Language)

After a bit more checking i found out that a couple wire connectors (noft factory my guess) where unhooked under the frame tube...

I did connect them and then when i switch the key to the On position the wire that goes from the Starter relay to the Starter became very hot and start smoking (mostly on the relay conection..) and makes a click from the solenoid my guess... bad starter? and why the wire gets hot and smoking...

What would be the problem?

ps: i used a 20 fuse on the main fusebox because i didnt have a 15 at this moment, cant be a problem right?

Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2008, 02:08 AM.

Comment

anyone? looks like all battery wires as well as the one goes to the starter get hot and start burning the plastic cover. the starter makes a click when i turn the ignition on ... nothing else happens...

Comment

anyone? looks like all battery wires as well as the one goes to the starter get hot and start burning the plastic cover. the starter makes a click when i turn the ignition on ... nothing else happens...
                        The solenoid should not 'click' when you turn the key alone on. Power only goes to the solenoid with the key on AND the starter button pushed.

If the solenoid is clicking when you turn the key on without the starter button being pushed then something is wired up incorrectly. If I'm reading this wrong and it is only clicking when you push the start button then the solenoid is trying to engage, but the starter is not turning. Can you turn the motor by hand?

If the solenoid is not clicking at all using the start button, then the most likely culprits would be the contacts in the RH switch block or the clutch interlock.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
                          The solenoid should not 'click' when you turn the key alone on. Power only goes to the solenoid with the key on AND the starter button pushed.

If the solenoid is clicking when you turn the key on without the starter button being pushed then something is wired up incorrectly. If I'm reading this wrong and it is only clicking when you push the start button then the solenoid is trying to engage, but the starter is not turning. Can you turn the motor by hand?

If the solenoid is not clicking at all using the start button, then the most likely culprits would be the contacts in the RH switch block or the clutch interlock.

the solenoid clicks when i connect one of the connections that's under the tank (see picture) and that happens when the ignition is On..

When i connect one of the wires i have strong lights and everything but cant do nothing else.

When i connect the other one you hear the solenoid clicking (when turn the ignition on) and very dim lights... also wires get hot...

Wirring harness looks like is chopped to death.... very ****ty to be factory like that!!!! im about to sell this bike if i cant find what's the problem!
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

am I the only person to read this and know what exactly the problem is?

Here is how everything started....

Me and a friend did a top end rebuild... Bike was starting and running before we take it apart..

After the rebuild we turn the key on and nothing happened.

slight chance starter cover is smashed down and making contact with battery terminal on starter. odds are cams are way out of spec and at least one piston is smashed against valves that should be closed.

trying to save a little money has a funny way of getting real expensive! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                              am I the only person to read this and know what exactly the problem is?

slight chance starter cover is smashed down and making contact with battery terminal on starter. odds are cams are way out of spec and at least one piston is smashed against valves that should be closed.

trying to save a little money has a funny way of getting real expensive! LOL
                              Starter cover is off

When we put it toghter and bridge the iginition relay the bike did turn over..

All valves where in Spec and cams where in the right positions acording to Manual.... from 2nd to 3th 20 links and right TDC
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X