Starter or Starter Relay Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astroman View Post
    the solenoid clicks when i connect one of the connections that's under the tank (see picture) and that happens when the ignition is On..

When i connect one of the wires i have strong lights and everything but cant do nothing else.

When i connect the other one you hear the solenoid clicking (when turn the ignition on) and very dim lights... also wires get hot...

Wirring harness looks like is chopped to death.... very ****ty to be factory like that!!!! im about to sell this bike if i cant find what's the problem!

It looks like you have your wiring for the clutch interlock mixed up;

This bike is waiting to be stripped to the frame for a restore as soon as the weather warms up. I intalled a new Big Crank battery a couple of weeks back as I wanted to make sure it would at least turn over before I started working on it. I couldn't get it to crank until I cleaned the contacts on the RH switch AND bypassed the non-working clutch switch. It cranks over fine now.

The single yellow non-striped wire on the LH harness (for the blue plug) goes into the bullet receptacle with the two yellow/green wires on the RH harness (for the white plug). The clutch safety/interlock harness is on the LH side and also uses yellow/green wires (it's a separate harness that runs all the way from the LH switch). In my case, I have this plugged into itself to bypass the clutch switch altogether.

If you need any other photos let me know. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Ok i found the start of all this mess...

We had to take the left side cover off to find TDC when i installed the cover back on i did a mistake i guess and one of the washers (i believe the one on the starter) slipped... So when we cracked the bike over to start this small washer went and stuck on the clutch starter with a result to stop moving the starter... battery was pussing hard to start and that was the reason wires where getting hot and smoking too...

Now i did bridge the starter straight to the battery but doest move so i guess i need to buy a starter of fix this one... ill try tomorrow on a car battery to see if spins with electricity (it does spin by hand)

Now i need to buy also a Clutch starter gear.. see cracked teeth?

My guess would be one of #3 washers...

Comment

Bummer, Let me know if need that starter, I still have it.

Comment

Originally posted by lifguardct View Post
          Bummer, Let me know if need that starter, I still have it.

..........ok

Comment

Well bike started and i rode it around the block a couple times what a difference in power

i have a small problem

1) the oil preassure light blings kinda like lose connection or something. Bike has oil and everything...

Comment

Slightly off topic... slightly on topic....

Not every model is still available, but for mine a new wiring harness, OEM, color coded to the diagrams was $150. Best $150 I ever spent. I then spent another 30 bucks replacing every connector that wasn't included in the harness. So for less than $200 wiring is the last on my list of things to check when there is a problem.

Comment

Im sure i can get a new one from Bikebandit but im on a budget and i already spent some money or Starter relay and a starter.... maybe ill upgrade to a new harness later this year.. im just glad the bike run good and doesnt leak from the 25 year old original base gasket anymore!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Astroman View Post
                  Im sure i can get a new one from Bikebandit but im on a budget and i already spent some money or Starter relay and a starter.... maybe ill upgrade to a new harness later this year.. im just glad the bike run good and doesnt leak from the 25 year old original base gasket anymore!!!
                  No doubt, got to work with budgets and priorities. My original base nor head gasket leaked, mine is getting a new head and a rebuild because of buggered up header bolts (an insert in 1, ok, inserts in 5 of the 8... time for a new head) and a bit of blue smoke from oil burning. I can't wait to see how it runs when it's back to full compression after the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                  X