Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket

Hey folks,

Can compressed graphite be used for the cam chain tensioner gasket?
    Does it matter how thick the gasket is, or will the plunger adjust itself to the correct tension?

I made a huge order from bikebandit and left that gasket off. I do not feel like paying 9 dollar shipping for a 2 dollar gasket.

Thanks for your time.

Never heard of compressed graphite. If it works as a gasket material, then sure...why not. As for thickness, unless your looking at a 1/4" inch or more, the tensioner should be able to adjust for the thicker gasket (graphite).

Comment

make one out of a cerial box...
      to bad your so far away, i have maybe 30 of those gaskets here.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        make one out of a cerial box...
        to bad your so far away, i have maybe 30 of those gaskets here.
        Send him one for a belated Christmas present.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Send him one for a belated Christmas present.

if he sends me a self addressed stamped envelope and a half a pack of marlboro's i will!!!
          HO---HO---HO

Comment

Just go to the auto parts store and pick up a roll of gasket paper. Get the type that is intended for exposure to oil and you are golden. I've made all kinds of gaskets this way - much cheaper than purchasing overpriced stock gaskets. Only takes a few minuets with an exacto knife. A paper hole punch works well to make the screw holes.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

original captain crunch's box is oil resistant....

Comment

The cam chain tensioner gasket isn't too hard to make. I cut a piece of gasket and then used gasket sealer just to make sure it won't leak.
                1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

All you need is black silicone! It is NOT a high pressure oil area! Stop making these small things so difficult. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    All you need is black silicone! It is NOT a high pressure oil area! Stop making these small things so difficult. Ray.
                    Right. But just a little silicone, please -- you don't need a big squishy 1/4" bead of the stuff that's going to squish into your engine and clog things up -- just a smear with your finger that you can just about see through.

I've also used case sealer with no problems.

And grocery sacks (paper, not plastic).

And the aforementioned cereal box.

Why, just take a look -- there are gaskets all around you!

Also, it sort of helps if you divulge which GS you're working on... It didn't really matter for this question, but often it does.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 12-31-2008, 05:42 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You got your answer above, but what is this compressed graphite you mention?
                      Is this just the metallic flatstock exhaust gasket material you see on some automotive flanged exhaust connections?

Comment

I knew it wasn't a high pressure area, and I figured just about anything would work to seal it. I wasn't as concerned about sealing the area as I was the thickness of the gasket interfering with the adjuster. I didn't know how much tolerance I had in order for everything to work as designed.

81gs550. Not that it really matters anymore.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
                          You got your answer above, but what is this compressed graphite you mention?
                          Is this just the metallic flatstock exhaust gasket material you see on some automotive flanged exhaust connections?
                          It's pink (usually) comes in rolls. It's like any other gasket material, it just happens to be what I can get my hands on for free. We use it for everything from head exchanger heads to steam trap bucket. Something like 870F and 300 PSI WOG.

Comment

Working...
                          X