Help! Need advice on frame repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need advice on frame repair

Frame snapped due to unseen rust behind the left footpeg. I will post pics in the morn when it is light out. Are any frames out there compatible? Maybe I can graft in a section from another bike. The damage is where three pipe sections meet near the pegs. The joint is disintegrated to hell. I am going to get some quotes on welding repairs, but I am worried it will be insanely expensive or they will tell me it isn't possible.
    Can JB Weld or Quicksteel hold the area together if I mash the putty into the tubes and rebuild the whole area? The bike pulls to the left side and the gap widens when it is on the sidestand, so I want to make sure this is fixed right. I need advice. All ideas welcome, I want to save my baby, but I don't have much money to spend. Thanks

Originally posted by FL_gs450L View Post
    Frame snapped due to unseen rust behind the left footpeg. I will post pics in the morn when it is light out. Are any frames out there compatible? Maybe I can graft in a section from another bike. The damage is where three pipe sections meet near the pegs. The joint is disintegrated to hell. I am going to get some quotes on welding repairs, but I am worried it will be insanely expensive or they will tell me it isn't possible.
    Can JB Weld or Quicksteel hold the area together if I mash the putty into the tubes and rebuild the whole area? The bike pulls to the left side and the gap widens when it is on the sidestand, so I want to make sure this is fixed right. I need advice. All ideas welcome, I want to save my baby, but I don't have much money to spend. Thanks
    Don't ride that bike the way it is. And epoxy putties will get you killed. You need to look for a parts bike or a frame.

Comment

Luckily, it happened when I was riding locally at under 35mph. She's been on the centerstand since. I won't even ride her to a welder, going to trailer or disassemble completely. I have been putting off a frame up restoration, but I need to know what I looking at pricewise before undertaking that kind of work. Thanks for the input, epoxy is out.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_gs450L View Post
        Luckily, it happened when I was riding locally at under 35mph. She's been on the centerstand since. I won't even ride her to a welder, going to trailer or disassemble completely. I have been putting off a frame up restoration, but I need to know what I looking at pricewise before undertaking that kind of work. Thanks for the input, epoxy is out.
        I take it you are in Florida by your handle. If you're able to be patient watch Craig's List and Ebay. If you have any salvage yards in your area check with them. You can probably pick up a junk bike for what trying to repair the frame would cost. Even if you tried to repair it the person doing the work would really have to know what they are doing so the bike tracks straight after the repair.

Comment

Corrosion this catastrophic makes me think it was damage from battery acid.

The damage could have been done years ago, but plain old rust isn't this vicious.

Glad you're OK. I agree that your best option would be to find a parts bike.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Battery acid as the culprit was what I thought thought too.

You probably should go ahead and remove the swingarm and check the condition of it and the bearings and such associated with it. The acid may have gotten into the pivot if that was indeed the cause.

Comment

I am from the Tampa Bay area. But the bike is from NY. She sat on the sidestand for about 10+ years in the elements. The left downtube where it curves under the engine was already replaced with a donor tube about 12 inches long. A prof shop did the repair. I thought all of the rust was removed, but this spot was hiding behind the bracket that holds the rear peg. The rust started on the inside, and recently the walls got so thin they finally cracked and fell away, hence the hole. The two spots were where water pooled for years. My guess is that the water got in and sat inside the tube, eating away at it.
              I found an 81 frame on EBay, do you guys think this is a suitable replacement. I know the side covers may not fit anymore, but I can get 81's as long as everything else fits.

Comment

I would treat the whole frame as suspect. If you missed one area of corrosion, you might have missed more. Hard to see inside the tubes. I've seen a video or two where frames have broken and the results are disastrous.

I can't help you with the frame, but you might want to post up the year of your current bike.

Comment

I happen to know where an 83(I think its an 83) gs850g frame is at the moment. What kind of bike do you have, and if you think it would work let me know and I can contact the guy to see how much he wants for the frame.

Comment

It's a 450L, the bike is in his user name. He also has a thread in the Parts Wanted section.

Comment

I would strongly advise to not repair your frame. I am a welder and do all sort of major mods and repairs and feel strongly that if a frame has warned you twice, don't give it a third chance.

If you must keep your frame number that can be done but you should in short time come up with a suitable replacement frame with good numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                        It's a 450L, the bike is in his user name. He also has a thread in the Parts Wanted section.
                        Doh.. thanks for pointing that out, I reread the post about 3 times to see if he might have mentioned it. I have problems sometimes not being able to see the forest for all the dang trees.

Comment

Originally posted by RobC View Post
                          Doh.. thanks for pointing that out, I reread the post about 3 times to see if he might have mentioned it. I have problems sometimes not being able to see the forest for all the dang trees.
                          Me too, sometimes I have to edit two or three times before I get things right.

Comment

Working...
                          X