Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning from your mistakes / what obvious stuffups have you done to your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning from your mistakes / what obvious stuffups have you done to your bike?

I thought that i'd post this as just recently i did a corker of an effort on my bike. I have always known that the "on" position on my gsx250 has leaked fuel, and consequently i usually kept it on reserve when im not using it (been meaning to fix that though)..

Anyway the other day i got back from a 2600km adventure on my other bike and decided to start the 250 up for good measure. For no good reason i fiddled with the tap before i started her up, and eventually shut her down. Fast forward a week or so and i decide to check she's all good as i was meaning to take her out the next morning for a good spin to blow the cobwebs out. Well she winds over, just, a couple of times, then acts as if she has just locked. I check the tap and realise i may have a problem, i check the oil level and can't see any oil on the dipstick at all, even when i wipe the stick clean, dip it in, and try again. There's also a slightly funny smell eminating from the oil filler hole that has seriously raised my suspicions.

I dump the oil and instead of the 1.8-2litres i was expecting out comes close to FIVE LITRES of what could only be described as over oily 2 stroke
    premix . I'm thankfull that at this point i'd already done about 100km on this tank, as it means the tank was just over half full before she dropped fuel into the sump. I let her drain, replaced the oil, made sure the tap was on reserve and got her too fire up after her initial coughing and complaining.

I've dropped a bit of this stinky fuel/oil back into the tank just so that i can make sure i have enough to get to the service station down the road so that i can fully fill her up and dilute this mess and get her out of this stinky predicament. I'm just lucky it didn't cost me more than wasting 2 litres of brand new oil on a grand total of of 200km of runtime.

So now, what's your moments of genius?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM.

Remember…it’s only a “mistake” if you do something wrong twice.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

true, but i already knew about the fact that "on" was leaking when the engine wasn't providing vacuum, yet i managed to leave it in "on".

Comment

Installing the shoddy junk in aftermarket carb kits.

$100 down the tubes, along with countless hours lost, terrible oaths uttered, and much gnashing of teeth. I finally cleaned and re-installed the original parts and all was well again.

The only usable parts were the bowl gaskets, around $3 each by themselves.

Lesson learned:
        1) Carb kits are crap

This was a long time ago, but I fought various running problems with my GS850 for a couple of years after I bought it. Eventually, because the intake o-rings were bad and I had no idea what the problem could be, two exhaust valves burned quite badly.

I took the head to a shop to have new valve guides pressed in and sized, and ordered all the various gaskets, valves, and parts to rebuild the top end. Gave the guy around $500. I received around $100 worth of parts, but only got the runaround when I asked about my cylinder head.

A couple of months later, the shop was closed and vacant, and the story was that the guy had skipped down to evade arrest for dealing.

Lessons learned:
        2) You can't fake a proper air-fuel ratio.
        2a) Just because it runs doesn't mean it runs right.
        3) Never, and I mean NEVER, EVER trust a shop. Or a junkie.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Stripping down what was probably a perfectly good '83 GS1100GLD because out of my ignorance, I couldn't get it to run right after 4 years of messing with it. This was prior to being an active member of the GSR and basically being just overly stupid. Still have the bike but don't know if I'll ever get it back to running again. Since acquired an '80 GS1000G and an '80 GS1100ET. The ET is running and is the "apple of my eye" but the G has a lot of potential. Just need to get some motivation to get it going again.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
            Just need to get some motivation to get it going again.
            Just how much "motivation" is it going to require?

For the next few days I am working just a few miles away from you.
            I can stop by on my way home and maybe we can kick a plan into gear.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks but I've got things to do on my '80 1100ET and then there's the task of getting my '80 GS1000G back to road worthy condition. That at least has potential. You're more than welcome to stop by though. I'll pm you with my contact info.

Don

Comment

A very common screw up that I and many others have done is pinching the clover shaped O Ring when installing the oil filter cover. When You start the bike the mistake becomes very obvious.
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Trying to use a torque wrench set in the lower 10% of its range. Not only is it highly inaccurate, but one has a tendency to snap delicate bolts with no warning....
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Ran my 2-stroke Kaw with bad crank seals and torched a piston.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Lets not forget buying used or new parts off of the internet before you verify that they fit....

Comment

Working...
                      X