Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this hole in my transmission case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this hole in my transmission case?

I swear I saw someone ask this question once, but couldn't find it with search. I also can't believe I've never seen it before, which leads me to believe there was a bolt or a plastic plug in here.

You're looking at the sprocket cover in the lower right corner, starter cover lower left.

It was too late and dark to begin taking the sprocket cover off, I hope the hole ends up in there and not in my gearbox. I'm having a waking nightmare of all that dirt and grime falling into my transmission. It's a bit cleaner now than it looks in the pics though, doing some carb work at the moment.

That is a drain hole to drain water or fuel that builds up on top of the case. It exits under the sprocket cover. No big deal. Dar

Comment

THANK YOU I can sleep well now. I'll also nix all ideas about blocking it.

Comment

Nope, clean it out instead
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sounds like another version of the famed Mystery Hole.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Also, it helps a lot if you reveal what sort of GS you're asking questions about. They're not all the same...
          Last edited by bwringer; 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Pretty funny to come across this thread...I had the same horrific visions one day last summer. Im out in the driveway washing the bike and just happened to look down and see the water going into the "mystery hole".....my first reaction was "Oh sh%t !...where did that hole come from??? and where is hell is that water GOING ???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Sounds like another version of the famed Mystery Hole.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Also, it helps a lot if you reveal what sort of GS you're asking questions about. They're not all the same...
              Haha that's funny, another victim to the myth I suppose. You're right about bike info, I added it to my signature.

Comment

Working...
              X