Off Topic Clutch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic Clutch Question

A buddy of mine called me a few minutes ago with a problem and I want to help him but wanted to get some other opinions.

He was riding his 2003 Honda Shadow spirit 750 shifting from 1st to 2nd and the bike stalled. He started and put the bike in 1st to take off again but the bike acted as if it was in neutral. He tried several times to get the bike to go but with no luck. I told him to take the oil fill cap off and smell the oil and he said it smells burned.

To me it sounds like bad clutch plates, he is a new rider and perhaps he is burning up the plates since he is still learning the "friction zone" on his clutch lever?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm going to take a ride to his place tomorrow and try to get a better look.

Thanks gents.

Is that thang a shaft or chain drive?

A motorcycle clutch shouldn't just burn up and stop working like a car clutch could.

I suspect transmission evils -- he's much more likely to screw up the shift forks and dogs with newbie shifting techniques.

My God, there really is a town called Athol...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It's chain driven, so you think the tranny? What should we be looking for to ensure that it is?

HAha, yes sir there is a town called Athol, not much of anything to speak of here though. Their claim to fame is Starret tool company is here. They make precision tools like dial calipers and what not.

Comment

might be a return spring.. hondas have emm.. and they go on occasion..but you know just get a manual,have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
          might be a return spring.. hondas have emm.. and they go on occasion..but you know just get a manual,have a look.
          That's a good thought -- I believe the shift lever will be sort of floppy if the return spring has broken or slipped out of place. The sort of thing an experienced rider would notice right away but a n00b might not.

It's easy as pie to fix on most bikes (remove clutch, there it is), but on this Honda I have no idea.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the help and quick responses gents! I went there this morning and as usual it was a 5 minute fix that was overlooked by a newbie.

The clutch cable had WAYYYY too much tension so i adjusted it at the lever and at the shaft going into the casing and voila...she had no problem. It was so tight that the clutch was constantly engaging.

Well, now he knows and knowing is half the battle. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Awesome!

The sad part is I also fixed the clutch cable tension on a bike for a new-ish rider a couple of days ago, and it never occurred to me that this could be the problem for your friend as well.
              Eat more venison.

Comment

It happens to the best of us I guess!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                X