H-Bomb Update....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H-Bomb Update....

First, a hearty thank you to those who suggested I rebuild the carbs myself, vice paying a local shop. It was your encouragement (and a little of $65.00 an hour labor rate) that helped me decide to take the carb cleaning on. Armed with a Clymer's and the well detailed guide provided here, I went about rebuilding the 2 carbs for the 450. It was not nearly as intimidating as I had pondered and went very straight-forward. I did clean and rebuild one at a time which I highly recommend to any other first timers. Long story short, they are clean and rebuilt and installed on the bike. 2nd push of the start button and POW! She fired right up and settled down to a nice purr at idle. Keep in mind this bike has not been ran in over 10 years, as told to me by the previous owner. I did all the necessary pre-start maintenance prior to taking on the carbs as I was quite comfortable with all that. One carb was filthy inside and showed evidence of water or condensation having been in there for some time. The other carb looked good to begin with but after cleaning, simply amazing. This bike starts so easily, in fact, it starts easier then my 2000 Intruder. So with it running so well, I figured take her for a spin. Off I went and she rode quite well, shifting smoothly through all 6 gears up and down. I only rode her for a couple of miles as I know there is other maintenance to be done to make her truly roadworthy. What a rush this project has been for my son and I! Total cost to rebuild the carbs at home: $29.00. The experience and learning alone is worth way more than that. Total cost spent on the project so far to include the cost of the bike: $312.19. My son and I are going to start refurbishing other odd and end parts and pieces. Our many thanks again to the folks at this site who have helped in answering our questions with info and encouragement.

Originally posted by H-Bomb View Post
    First, a hearty thank you to those who suggested I rebuild the carbs myself, vice paying a local shop. It was your encouragement (and a little of $65.00 an hour labor rate) that helped me decide to take the carb cleaning on. Armed with a Clymer's and the well detailed guide provided here, I went about rebuilding the 2 carbs for the 450. It was not nearly as intimidating as I had pondered and went very straight-forward. I did clean and rebuild one at a time which I highly recommend to any other first timers. Long story short, they are clean and rebuilt and installed on the bike. 2nd push of the start button and POW! She fired right up and settled down to a nice purr at idle. Keep in mind this bike has not been ran in over 10 years, as told to me by the previous owner. I did all the necessary pre-start maintenance prior to taking on the carbs as I was quite comfortable with all that. One carb was filthy inside and showed evidence of water or condensation having been in there for some time. The other carb looked good to begin with but after cleaning, simply amazing. This bike starts so easily, in fact, it starts easier then my 2000 Intruder. So with it running so well, I figured take her for a spin. Off I went and she rode quite well, shifting smoothly through all 6 gears up and down. I only rode her for a couple of miles as I know there is other maintenance to be done to make her truly roadworthy. What a rush this project has been for my son and I! Total cost to rebuild the carbs at home: $29.00. The experience and learning alone is worth way more than that. Total cost spent on the project so far to include the cost of the bike: $312.19. My son and I are going to start refurbishing other odd and end parts and pieces. Our many thanks again to the folks at this site who have helped in answering our questions with info and encouragement.
    Congrats, post of the week.

Somehow I bet that $312.19 does not include new tires?
    Yours are at least ten years old, maybe thirty. You're scaring me.

Where are you and what model 450?

Got pics?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Congrats, post of the week.

Somehow I bet that $312.19 does not include new tires?
      Yours are at least ten years old, maybe thirty. You're scaring me.

Where are you and what model 450?

Got pics?
      You are certainly right, that figure does not include tires. If I was to guess, I'd say the tires on the bike are at least that old, or older. Isn't there a date code stamped on the tires somewhere? I'm curious to know how old they are. Irregardless, they DEFINITELY need replacing. Which is why I fully suited up, to ride it from one end of my street to the other, without exceeding 25 MPH. I do not recommend any distance or speed riding on crummy tires. Admittedly, the excitement of getting her running out weighed complete caution. But the wife's glaring look as I rode by the house snapped caution right back to the fore-front of my mind, and in the garge the H-Bomb went. Tires should be on the way in a few days. Any suggestions as to type and a place to purchase? I'm looking at some on Bikebandit.com currently. The Bomb is a 1981 GS450L. I have some pictures of it at home, so I'll try and get some posted after work. I live in the 7 cities area of Virginia. Thanks for your comments!

Comment

awesome. i just got tires form swmototires.com, good prices and free shipping with 2 tires.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Gratz!!! I always have more pride in my stuff when I'm the one who did all the work than if I pay someone else to do it. I'm glad you're feeling that too. welcome to the world of do it yourself work!

Comment

Better stop tracking expenses... no good can come from knowing how much you've spent on an old bike.

Congrats!

Another couple of good tire sources:

America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Better stop tracking expenses... no good can come from knowing how much you've spent on an old bike.
              So say we all!!
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Another source for tires

This website is for sale! onoffroad.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, onoffroad.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for all the links! Quite a bit of choices out there!

Comment

Working...
                  X