Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question about Oil Light

So Monday I picked up a 1980 GS850G. Loving it so far! >=D

I pulled a wicked FAIL move the first night I had it and left the damn Petcock in the PRI position... (Tired and not thinking straight) So I woke up to GASOLINE all over the ground and motor... >_< and ever since then my Oil Light has been on indicating low Oil Pressure. It's not shifting funny or anything like that, I haven't experienced a loss of power or ANYTHING. Just that damned light. So I'm assuming that gasoline got into the oil and has thinned it out which would affect the oil pressure.

My question is this, obviously, I need to change the oil but is it unsafe to the motor to ride until I change the oil? Is it going to make my motor seize or explode or something unheard of?

Secondly, I don't have a manual yet...is changing the oil simple?! If so, I need to know where to start. I'm not a fan of not having a dipstick... ='(

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have a ride about 15 miles to pick up a helmet today, will the bike make it?! Save me before I do something stupid.

Dont ride it or start it until you change the oil!!!!! You have gas in your crankcase, and have thinned the oil out. Change the oil AND filter.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Changing the oil is easy. Remove the drain plug underneath, then remove the filter cover on the front of the engine behind the headers. Install new filter, then fill with oil. Put about 3 1/2 quarts in it, run it for awhile, then put on the center stand and check the oil site glass on the clutch cover. Add more if needed.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Unfortunately View Post
        1. So I'm assuming that gasoline got into the oil and has thinned it out which would affect the oil pressure.

2. My question is this, obviously, I need to change the oil but is it unsafe to the motor to ride until I change the oil? Is it going to make my motor seize or explode or something unheard of?

3. Secondly, I don't have a manual yet...is changing the oil simple?! If so, I need to know where to start. I'm not a fan of not having a dipstick... ='(

4. will the bike make it?! Save me before I do something stupid.
        1. Yes
        2. maybe, maybe not... don't run it until you change the oil.
        3. Yes, http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        4. see number two# 2, get the helmet, then ride...
        Last edited by rustybronco; 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Here's a link to BassCliff "little site". he has a nice tutorial for changing oil. Try getting your filter from NAPA, it should come with a new oil cover o-ring included. Careful with the drain plug as well as the oil cover acorn nuts, they are prone to stripping.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Ryan Unfortunately,

Follow the sage advice of those preceding me, don't ride until you change the oil and filter. You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You guys are F-ing AMAZING! I love you all! =D

Pictures this weekend after the cleaning. It's filthy... been sitting a while.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                Dont ride it or start it until you change the oil!!!!!
                Too late. Sounds like hes already running it. Better the fuel was on the ground than in the crank case.

What is the oil level in the window ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's pretty smoggy...can't really tell.

And yes, too late, it's been run a total of um... maybe .8 miles. Perhaps 20 minutes or less...to the gas station...and then to work today. >_<

I've killed it!! NOOO!!! Should I change the oil...run it, rechange the oil, run it again before driving it again? I have to get it home from work today... it's not far. So I can ride really really slow and keep the revs low. Is that going to be alright? I could imagine getting fired for changing the oil in the parking lot at work.

Hell, it gives me an excuse to get back on the Rebel for the time being...lol I miss that tiny little thing.

Comment

It's pretty smoggy...can't really tell.

And yes, too late, it's been run a total of um... maybe .8 miles. Perhaps 20 minutes or less...to the gas station...and then to work today. >_<

I've killed it!! NOOO!!! Should I change the oil...run it, rechange the oil, run it again before driving it again? I have to get it home from work today... it's not far. So I can ride really really slow and keep the revs low. Is that going to be alright? I could imagine getting fired for changing the oil in the parking lot at work.

Hell, it gives me an excuse to get back on the Rebel for the time being...lol I miss that tiny little thing.
                    You should be fine getting home. It's less than a mile, right ? You'll probably notice your oil is really, really dirty when you change it. The gas kinda cleans the innards of the engine, it's not the recommended method, but it does it anyway.

Change the oil, ride for a hundred miles or so and change it again. Should be good after that.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

is there an auto parts/ fuel station near by? you could always buy 3 quarts of 10w40 and drain and refill it on the side of the road some place, not at your place of employ (capture the used oil please).
                      how far is it to home?

Comment

Prolly about a 1/2 mile. Not even maybe. Not far. I still have the rebel and access to my car... Haven't sold it yet. So, I can get the filter and oil in either the car or on the rebel. So, I can get it home, head to the Napa or Parts Plus or whatever is up the road and grab a filter (What part# or type of filter?) 10w40 (Specific type? I know non synthetic, but anything else I should know?) and a catch pan.

Comment

You'll be fine getting home.
                          Just get some cheapo 10W-40. You're going to dumping it in a hundred miles. Then use the search feature and decide which oil you want to use. Be careful when putting the oil cover o-ring back on, whether it's included with your new filter or reusing the old one. Make sure it's properly in the groove. They can get pinched and then it'll be ruined and you'll have oil spilling out the cover. Don't ask me how I know.....

There's about a jillion threads about oil.........here's one about filters.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Prolly about a 1/2 mile. Not even maybe. Not far...So, I can get it home, head to the Napa or Parts Plus or whatever is up the road and grab a filter (What part# or type of filter?) 10w40 (Specific type? I know non synthetic, but anything else I should know?) and a catch pan.
                            fram ch6000, napa (wix) I don't recall.
                            any good version of 10w40 or rotella 15w40, rotella 5w40 synthetic, castrol gtx or what ever you would like to use.

Comment

Thought I'd throw this in too.

Soon, you should clean and rebuild the carbs with new o-rings and such as outlined here....

Even if you left the petcock on pri, it shouldn't have dumped gas into the engine and everywhere else. After I rebuild mine, I've forgotten and left the petcock on pri with no problem.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X