Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello everybody i need your help againg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everybody i need your help againg!

I am planing to do my first vlave clearence check on my 1982 gs 850 L
    I have a couple of questions on the chims.
    were can i get them? and how long do i have to wait to get them? my gs is my only source of transportation and i dont want to get stuck just in case i need to change them. olso what kind of fealler gauge do i need and olso what other tools do i need. do i need to get a tourque wrench?
    All help will be greatly appreciated.

You can open it up and measure everything, figure out which shims you need, button it up to ride while you wait for the parts. Might be smart to have the gasket ahead of time in case the old one crumbles, but usually they can be reused. A small (inch-pound) torque wrench is needed only for the cam cover bolts, if you have calibrated fingers you don't need the wrench. Something like finger tight plus a quarter turn or so is plenty.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Most common size by far is the 2.65

So if you want to be semi-prepared, get 2 each 2.70 and maybe 1 each 2.75

Most of the time you need a larger shim because of valve seat wear. Many times you can move a shim from a place where it is tight (like the exhaust side) to the intake side where they tend to be loose. Deposits build up on the intake seats and the exhaust seats wear down due to heat.

Whenever I have adjusted my valves that was what I found anyway. Rarely is a 2.60 or a 2.55 needed, most people looking for shims are looking for the 2.70 and 2.75 sizes.

There is a special tool that depressed the bucket to get to the shim. Do not use a magnet since they are hardened and will magnetize immediately. I use a piece of wood I made a tool out of. There is also the tie wrap trick where you open the valve, catch a tie wrap under the head through the spark plug hole and that takes pressure off the bucket.

As for gaskets there is a brand called Real Gasket which is removable and reusable. Look into one of those, although they are expensive.
      Last edited by duaneage; 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

First off, check these two articles from member of the decade BassCliff...

If the valve cover has been on there for a long time, it may be impossible to remove the cover without damaging the gasket. You might want to have a new gasket on hand before you remove the cover.

You need to measure the clearances, and then remove the shims and record what is currently in there. Next, calculate what shims you need.

CAUTION: never rotate the engine with a shim removed or you will damage the cams and valve buckets.

The valves tend to recede into the head which means the valve clearance DECREASES with mileage. This means that you will need thinner shims than before. It's hard to know what shims your engine may currently have. When the engine is new the shims tend to be in the 2.75 range, but this is not always true - my 850 had some 2.60's from new. It's best to check the shims and not guess unless you have extra money to burn.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Nessism; 04-06-2009, 09:56 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you don't want to order the shims and wait, look around for an old-school independent cycle shop that handles Japanese machinery -- a grimy place with a bunch of old Honda and Suzuki carcasses around.

The dealers never seem to stock shims, although they're still used in current models. However, a dealer that's been around a long time might. Ask around.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I agree with Nessism, the valves normally get tighter, so the shim needs to be thinner. If the clearances are increasing, the valves and seats probably need de-carboned. I have tons of 2.65 and 2.60, always needing the 2.55 or 2.50 (or better yet, the X-factors!). If you have a good assortment of shims, a good shim tool, a GOOD feeler gauge (with the smallest sizes), a good gasket scraper, an inch-pound torque wrench, a new gasket ready and TIME then you should be OK. Then again, weird things happen, like fuel lines breaking or coil wires separating or things falling into the motor.

I always lean the bike wayyyyy over to each side first so the pools of oil drain around the cam cover.

Also, try not to turn the motor backward

Comment

Hi Mr. NES07DEZ,

Now that I've done my valve adjustments a few times, and thanks to Mr. Steve's handy spreadsheet, I know what size shims are in my bike and what the last set of measured clearances were. I can use that information to "guess-timate" what size shims may be necessary on my next check. I order them ahead of time from Z1enterprises.com. They have the best prices on shims that I have found ($5.28 each). Some places want $10 each!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I am presently doing the valves on my GS850 and am going through exactly what you are.
                From doing a search on this site I found a service where you can EXCHANGE your old shims (and any others you may not want) for the sizes that you require, if they are available.
                Simply cover the postage and possibly donate a few dollars to the cause.
                This, in my opinion, is a fantastic service and am surprised that it is not mentioned more frequently. Try searching the info below.
                GS Shim Club
                1886 Meadow Vale Road
                Longmont, Colorado 80504-6224

Comment

Working...
                X