Starter gasket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter gasket???

Was just looking through the stator papers again, and saw the mention of a starter gasket. My '82 GS550L didn't have one when I did the job, and there isn't one detailed in the exploded parts view on Bike Bandit or any other parts resource. Is there one on this bike? If so, where can I get one, as Bike Bandit doesn't list it.

It's just an o-ring that fits where the starter slips into the left side of the crankcase.

Comment

Not the O-Ring - this is what I am talking about:

Comment

You don't need it. I have no idea why some engines had one in there, but it doesn't actually seal anything and it is completely superfluous. Note that there is a notch in one corner of the starter cavity for the wires to enter. Rain water gets in here too, but if you look under the starter, there's a drain hole that exits via the Mystery Hole.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          You don't need it. I have no idea why some engines had one in there, but it doesn't actually seal anything and it is completely superfluous. Note that there is a notch in one corner of the starter cavity for the wires to enter. Rain water gets in here too, but if you look under the starter, there's a drain hole that exits via the Mystery Hole.
          Mine never had one and as you say the notch for the wiring defeats the purpose of a gasket.

Comment

OK cool. Reason I was wondering, there was some water in the starter cavity that didn't drain, and spilled out and into the waste oil drain pan when I changed the stator coil. At first I didn't know where it came from, seeing water spill out of what I thought was part of the crankcase caused quite a bit of concern

Comment

Originally posted by VinnySem View Post
              OK cool. Reason I was wondering, there was some water in the starter cavity that didn't drain, and spilled out and into the waste oil drain pan when I changed the stator coil. At first I didn't know where it came from, seeing water spill out of what I thought was part of the crankcase caused quite a bit of concern
              The drain hole must be clogged. Run something through it to clear it out.

Comment

Working...
              X