Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tone

Thanks,
    Makes perfect sense. I have a spare ED frame that will likely get the bracing in the future, but first I need to ge those gixxer 18" wheels on first. Coming up soon.
    Jim

Comment

Whence i get back from my WV trip at the end of the month, I shall be prepping an 82 1100 frame for said brace work. Tone, you suggest C D and E being the MOST important and necessary additions. Any suggestion on exactly how to affix C, spacing and whatnot? You say boxed steel tube as the material? Any info would be helpfull. I am not doing the bracing, the young man that IS is an excellent welder, but this would be something he was doing without exactly understanding the WHY or WHAT necessarily. Would one want to use a jig in order to keep from tweaking the frame?

Comment

I would think it would help to keep the motor & swingarm in it whilst you do it or at least bolt some braces in where they would normally go at the right width....

Depends how much heat he puts into the joints I would think. Mig might not affect it much at all but Oxy Acetylene could give you some probs....

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

is there anything that can be done to stop the front frame tubes from buckeling?

(thanks redsoxvw for the pic sorry about your frame)

I have seen this a few times and it seems like a common issue, not sure what causes it exactly hard landing wheelies? or front end impacts? or just hard front breaking? But should any bracing, reinforcing or gussets be considered to help keep these front tubes from bending?
          Last edited by first timer; 05-20-2009, 12:27 AM.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

WOW, Im famous LOL.....Yeah the PO hit something pretty good, Im going to have it starightened and reinforced, and am curious to hear the input on this
            Originally posted by first timer View Post
            is there anything that can be done to stop the front frame tubes from buckeling?

I have seen this a few times and it seems like a common issue, not sure what causes it exactly hard landing wheelies? or front end impacts? or just hard front breaking? But should any bracing, reinforcing or gussets be considered to help keep these front tubes from bending?

Comment

WTF what caused that ???

well it would seem what ever it was, that OSS E would brace the rear of the motor preventing it from back sliding.

Pos

Comment

Seriously. Bracing for that front damage would be a waste.

I think that one qualifies as "User Error" and shouldn't be designed for.

Comment

I agree, but just to clarify.... I bought the bike like that LOL, Knock on wood I havent hit nothing yet
                  Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                  Seriously. Bracing for that front damage would be a waste.

I think that one qualifies as "User Error" and shouldn't be designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxvw View Post
                    I agree, but just to clarify.... I bought the bike like that LOL, Knock on wood I havent hit nothing yet
                    OK, "Buyer Error" then.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Caused by.......

Originally posted by first timer View Post

This same thing happened to my gs after T-boning a car. The engineer straightening my frame said the suzukis quite often buckle here and he cant always get the buckle out. but the frame can be set straight again with a slight buckle remaining. BTW the Guy straightening my frame does it for a living and is well regarded by people in the motorcycle idustry in Australia (Q.)(Dave Kellet Slacks creek Brisbane.)

Comment

Those front legs are interesting but if that is "crash damage" then this is not the topic.

Tone if you are still out there what do you recommend as far as precautions to prevent frame distortion during the bracing phase.

Salty, has suggested MIG/TIG (??) welding v.s. Oxy to reduce heat and potential distortion. Should an engine be kept in place to perform the welding or is a jig necessary?

Or just proper procedure by a skilled welder? I have a very skilled guy here locally willing to do the work. just wonder if I need t o have an engine mounted which would be a bit more of a paint than carrying a bare frame to him.

I'm thinking OSS C,D, and E braces.

Jim
                        Last edited by posplayr; 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ausben View Post
                          This same thing happened to my gs after T-boning a car. The engineer straightening my frame said the suzukis quite often buckle here and he cant always get the buckle out. but the frame can be set straight again with a slight buckle remaining. BTW the Guy straightening my frame does it for a living and is well regarded by people in the motorcycle idustry in Australia (Q.)(Dave Kellet Slacks creek Brisbane.)

The forks actually look a little bowed, looks like a front impact possibly in which case would be driver error not frame error.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Whence i get back from my WV trip at the end of the month, I shall be prepping an 82 1100 frame for said brace work. Tone, you suggest C D and E being the MOST important and necessary additions. Any suggestion on exactly how to affix C, spacing and whatnot? You say boxed steel tube as the material? Any info would be helpfull. I am not doing the bracing, the young man that IS is an excellent welder, but this would be something he was doing without exactly understanding the WHY or WHAT necessarily. Would one want to use a jig in order to keep from tweaking the frame?
                            Josh,

Let me know what you do, I am getting ready to powder coat the 1100e frame, so it might be a good time to consider it.

Comment

I can't imagine the heat generated by that much Mig welding would be healthy. I have built a few recumbent trikes (3 wheel bicycles) and found that Mig welding definitely can "soften" metal way too much. I prefer Tig. It takes a lot longer but you can really control the heat better. The picture shown looks like an excellent weld job, but I would be worried about the long beads and stress cracks. The forum member "Tone" seems to have great knowledge on this and I wonder what he would recomend for welding like that. I myself have a Tig and MIg welder. The Mig is definately quick and dirty but the Tig really does better work. Also, I would hope that anyone doing this has a tubing notcher because if you try and fill gaps with weld you will end up with junk.

Also, what combination gas: i.e. argon etc. would one use? Is there crystallization on the inside of these tubes? Would they have to have argon flowing thru them? Just wondered.

Comment

zathros

I might have mis quoted Salty, so my lack of knowledge is why I'm asking; but mainly about the requirement for a jig.

Comment

Working...
                                X